Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eternity Minecraft - Server is Live!
Woot!! Deserts!. I'll probably play around with asset building in the current overworld.

On the note of Forge, they are pretty slow to update things, I believe they just moved to 13.2 a few months ago and mods are slowly being updated. On a plus note I suppose, if you went to Forge, you could construct a simple ModPack that people can download from curse forge or through the twitch launcher, which would streamline what you would need to do. Always some cool features to have with mods.
Yeah, I might create a forge build in parelllelellell on my personal machine to play around with it, assuming I stop working 60 hours weeks goddamn. But in the meantime I don't have time for that, so I'll have to focus on one project at a time.
I'm happy to help with a forge server if you need help. I run my own sometimes with some friends, although that is far more of a system hog than a light weight pack. Tongue
Mini update, nothing to write home about: your 1.14 game clients are now backwards compatible with the 1.13 server.

That’s really it. Let me know if there’s problems, as always.
Just an announcement for the server.

In about a week, the MC server will go dark. Sal and I will be packing for the move to the new house, and of course that includes the server. This will be the case until such a day as I get our internet transferred over, and unpack enough to know where I will set up the hardware. That said, I can't say when it will be back, most likely not until mid-october...which, based upon the server log, being gone a month should inconvenience approximately no one.

Flipped Smile

When the server does come back, it will (hopefully) be with an update to version 1.14, and a new overworld. So there's that to look forward to, I guess.
I tried connecting the other day and I couldn't Sad
[Image: Wbs3DMM.png]
(09-10-2019, 03:15 AM)Severyane Wrote: I tried connecting the other day and I couldn't Sad

What game version?

When it comes back, it shouldn't matter. Everyone will be getting an updated server and new login credentials.
(09-17-2019, 03:56 AM)Seperallis Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 03:15 AM)Severyane Wrote: I tried connecting the other day and I couldn't Sad

What game version?

When it comes back, it shouldn't matter. Everyone will be getting an updated server and new login credentials.

I think I was on a higher version than the server had now that I think about it, but that's good news.
[Image: Wbs3DMM.png]
Good!

Anyway, I haven't started work on this; actually, the server is still in the box from the move. I want to get several other projects in my long long backlog taken care of before I begin this, so you might not see anything new until...some time in Nov? Early? Mid? Late? I don't know; I'll pin down an exact date when I actually start upon it. I should get around to it relatively soon as, while the list of other "priorities" is long, none of them should take more than a day's free time each.

The first hurdle is summoning the motivation grinding out the discipline to break through my crippling exhaustion and dooooo theeeem.
So Sep, where's the update?

Well, you might be happy to know that with work slowing and the holidays done, I finally decided to put this project ahead of my thousands of other projects, and started work on the new update.

However.

There are some problems when it comes to making workable SMP worlds with custom maps. The main issue is that literally all the current tools either do not support 1.14, or were broken by 1.14 and had key features removed. I'm mainly referring to the tools I have on hand: World Painter and Open Terrain Generator.
  • The problem with OTG is pretty simple: it was simply never updated past 1.12.2, as the devs focused more on bug fixes, better usability, and more robust features. The 1.13 update changed the entire back-end nature of the game, so updating this tool will be a massive amount of work, but it could eventually be done.
  • The problem with World Painter is more severe: the 1.14 update changed world seed parameters and the nature of world generation, specifically how chunk population occurs. You can read here for an overview of how Minecraft used to handle world generation, but the short of it is that the game's new world generation algorithm now adds trees, dungeons, towns, ores, etc during initial terrain creation, instead of handled in a second step afterwards. WP can still create terrain, but features like biome-specific trees, dungeons, and villages will not exist.

There are workarounds, I suppose, but all of them are less than satisfactory. I can obviously just create a v1.12 map and put it on our server, but we would then be missing all of the new content such as the new biomes, some new mobs, new blocks/items, etc...and that rather defeats the purpose of the server update. Alternatively, I could just add all that extra detail by hand or through schematics and...no, just no, not unless we had tens of people working on the build.

In any case, I'll get it figured out.
Also known as the Artist Formerly Known as Oertha.
[Image: zBb6q8a.png] Republic of Nyland
Population: 267,891,234 (y. 1566)
Demonym: Nylander
Capital City: Nyköping
Government Type: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic

GDP (PPP) - 1566 estimate
-- Total: $12,236,735,786,652.00 (Daler)
-- per capita: $45,678.90 (Daler)
Currency: Daler
Exchange Rate: N/A

Ethnicity
-- Dominant: Lanlian
-- Other: Florinthian
Languages
-- Dominant: Lanlian (Nylander dialect)
-- Other: Florinthian
Religion
-- National: None
-- Other: -