Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arkiania Rising
Wednesday 25 Zechyr, 1599
Arkianian occupied territory in Octitania

Tracers, missiles, and explosions lit up the sky in an operation launched by Octitanian forces in the objective of taking back land occupied by Arkiania in a previous border skirmish. The attacks were an initial success. Arkianian forces were caught by surprise and the front checkpoints were quickly overrun, however defenses were further back, and it wasn't long before Arkianian forces respond with forces that were held back behind the border. By 10AM, the first checkpoints were captured by Octitanian forces, and with the help of Close Air Support would take the 2nd group a checkpoints by 2PM, the fighting was fierce, but with no air support Arkianian forces were forced to continue retreating. By 5PM, the 3rd round of checkpoints and positions were taken, but by this time the surprise was lost. Arkiania forces began crossing the border to reinforce the battered troops who were retreating. The Airforce was in the air and mobilized and immediately began responding to Octitania Close Air Support.

In Arkanium, the King was alerted in his office, and ordered an immediate meeting with his council. The room was tense as to how to respond next.

The Councilor of Defense started the meeting off "At 8AM this morning, Octitanian Armed Forces attacked our checkpoints along the various occupied areas along the border and have been pushing back our forces since. As of right now, we have responded and have sent a brigade to each of the tree occupation zones with air support, however Octitanian air support is stiff, and we may not be able effectively provide Close Air Support with Octitanian fighters about. We can send more troops, but I think if we were to continue trying to hold, Octitania will most certainly declare war. We multiple plans drawn up over the years for this, so we should not be caught completely unprepared. If we are to beat Octitania a quick strike against their important facilities and airforces should weaken them enough for us to be able to advance into Octitania territory and hold them until Mestran support arrive. The Navy has been put on standby. Our options are either we send troops, back off, or we declare war and frame it as an attack on our sovereignty. Now, onto the suggestions and concerns."

The Councilor of Foreign Affairs spoke next "I think declaration of war shouldn't be left off the table, our Armed Forces have been preparing and training for years for such an event. They can immediately launch plans now if we only decided to. In my opinion, all of this standing by while Octitania attacks our men and us only reinforcing them with scraps waiting to see what action takes next is absolutely ludicrous! All this is doing is allowing for Octitania to prepare even forces for a full scale attack against us. Right now we should establish contact with the Mestrans, and with Drahen as well. We should be acting acting quick, and I agree with the suggestion that we should make a quick strike on Octitania and advance as much as we can before the Mestrans can arrive."

Interrupting his General, the King made decision. "We should be contacting with our allies first, if we declare war right now. It will be viewed has attack, and our allies will not be obligated to help us in such an event. I will immediately be consulting with the Mestran King, and with Drahen as well. In the meantime send involve more aircraft and send more brigades to reinforce the occupation areas. Maybe Octitania will back off. This meeting is done."

The King rushed to his office, and established contact with Mestra and Drahen...
Mestran Ministry of Defense Strategic Office, United Allied States Headquarters - Cias, Mestra

Like any other day, staff and officers at the Strategic Office carried out there daily routines. It was a important, albeit boring task, to relay intelligence from the UAS to the Ministry of Defense in I'balan. Today, like every other, information scrolled across the terminals as eyes darted this way and that. Constant alerts were being flagged from Arkiania. Though important for security of the Imperium and the UAS as a whole, the situation seemed more or less under control. Arkiania remained secure in its defense, and pressure from I'balan appeared to be helping.

Jonas as always was drinking his coffee, when his screen flashed red, a Level One Alert. Scanning it quickly, Jonas forgot he was holding his cup, letting it slip from his hands and crash to the floor. The shattering of the glass caused all present to freeze and stare at him. His face showed shock, and his stillness brought about concern. As others approached to see what was wrong, Jonas sprung to his feet and ran from the room to the Director's Office.

Jonas threw open the door, startling Director Ramsfell. "Jonas, you know its customary to knock before barging into an office." Ramsfell paused for a moment seeing the shock on Jonas' face. "What is lad?" "Director, I just received a Level One Alert in the red." "Level one? what happened?" Ramsfell stood preparing for the worst. "It seems Octitania launched an offensive on Arkianian forces. The message is coming across the Archon net from UDF operatives in the region. The Arkianian's are being pushed back." "My God," Ramsfell sunk into his chair. He rubbed his jaw before punching in a few keys on his terminal. The alert popped up with more detailed information. He paused for a moment before standing up. He and Jonas returned to the situation room. "Listen up everyone. We have a Level One Alert from UDF operatives in Arkianian controlled territory. It would seem Octitania has launched an offensive. I will be informing the Defense Minister, we will continue monitoring all activity and channels as normal. Jonas will lead a task group to monitor the situation in Arkiania." Ramsfell turned to Jonas and patted him on the shoulder, "Reassign five people to monitor the the situation." Jonas nodded and moved off to get his team. Ramsfell returned to his office and called the Defense Minister.

The Imperial Palace - I'balan, Mestra

Mestran Defense Minister Antonius Pavich was a large stern man. Members of the Palace staff quickly moved out of his way as he rushed, nearly running, down the long corridor from the entrance hall to the Emperor's study. As he approached, a door man rushed forward from unseen place and rapped on the door. A second later, he opened it and stepped aside so that the Pavich could walk in. "Defense Minister Pavich for you, your Majesty." Pavich glanced towards the empty desk before turning his attention around the room. The Emperor was nowhere to be seen, but his voice echoed down from the upper level of the study which housed the library. "It is most unexpected for a Minister to rush to the Palace without so much as a word to why a meeting was needed." The Emperor appeared next to the railing. He glanced down at Pavich before moving down the stairs and towards the desk. Pavich bowed his head as the Edward approached the desk and laid down a book on the desk. "I must assume and fear that something has happened, then?" Edward motioned to a chair near the desk before he himself sat in the one behind the desk. Pavich paused a moment before sitting down.

"I'm afraid to inform His Majesty that we received a Level One alert from the Strategic Defense Office. It would appear that Octitania has launched some sort of offensive against Arkiania. We are unsure of the full extent of the conflict, as the UDF operatives have gone dark. We are attempting to communicate with the Arkiania Defense Ministry."

"I had feared an escalation of the conflict between the two, but this is a bit beyond my considerations." Edward leaned back in his chair. "Is the Third Fleet still in the Gulf of Mestra?" "Yes, your majesty. They have been placed on high alert." "Very good. Mobilize the Second Fleet into the South Sea, and place the First Fleet on alert as well." Pavich nodded and quickly began making a phone call. Edward tapped the button on a panel on his desk. A display began to rise from the marble top of the desk. Once fully raise the display lit up. Edward typed a few things on the panel and a woman, Foreign Minister Liza Narad appeared.

"Minister Narad, given the recent developments in Arkiania and Octitania, I want you to issue a recall of all diplomats in the region. Further, contact the Drahen and Arkiania foreign ministries and the UAS Allied Council. We may need to invoke Article 1 - Section 8." Narad's face tightened at the prospect of invoking the mutual defense clause of the Denali Accord (the governing charter of the United Allied States). "It will be done your Majesty." The screen flickered as a prompt shortly came up, and incoming call. Edward tapped another button. His private secretary appeared informing of a call with the Arkianian King, the screen flickered once again to show a side panel between the rulers of Arkiania and Drahen.
Arch Imperial Palace, Arkanium

The High King leaned over his desk with the phone over his ear in contact with the Mestran Emperor "I'm sure you have been already alerted about the attack from Octitania. I am prepared to invoke Section 8, and declare war against Octitania. Our forces are already prepared to mobilize and quickly strike important targets if needed, but we only have a matter of time before Octitania is fully mobilized. Our forces have been pushed back so far, but we are sending reinforcements. The areas taken so far were intended to be lightly defended. However so far Octitania seemed to be severely limiting themselves in this engagement."

Meanwhile, at the border by 8PM, Arkianian reinforcements arrived, and the engagement became a stalemate. Both forces dug in, and both airforces had waved off. What followed during the night was periodic skirmishes and static warfare.
26 Zechyr, 1599
Octitania

"Octitatia is not interested in war with Arkiania...We do not wish to make war against the Arkianian state and the Arkianian people, whom we wish prosperity and peace.

Our government has no territorial ambitions and we do not aim to violate the sovereignty of Arkiania. We don't see ourselves as a nation of conquestors and we don't aim to be seen as one.

However, our patience is not limitless, and we do not wish to be a nation of victims. We are willing to defend themselves ourselves, our sovreignty and the freedom of our people.

It is time that Arkianian aggression comes to an end. We will expel any enemy and foreign forces from our own territory, to defend our lands and our people. I am certain that the international community will understand that such is a fair and just struggle, as our people do. I also hope that Arkianian government will understand it, leave our lands so our nations can live peacefully, respecting each other sovreignty.

...I can only salute our brave soldiers again, who are willing to sacrifice their lives to protect our citizens and our nation, building a lasting peace through their sacrifice".

Sephanos Menelaus stood up and moved from the desk as soon as the red light of the camera switched off. His facial expression looked even more serious than while he was reading his message, a message which would may change Octitanian history forever. It was certainly the most important address in his political career although he was not too nervous.

"Perfect! It was excellent. A perfect execution for a perfect speech", Fotis Alkaios, who could be sometimes too expressive in his remarks and judgement. Alkaios had been the head of the electoral campaign which had elected Menelaus to Prime Minister as nationalist candidate in the 1597 legislative election. In the last months, he was hired as productor for the state television of the Octitania.

"Did I look too tired?", Menelaus asked. "I wanted to give to my message a tone of even more strength".

"Yes! Yes!", Alkaios replied. "I believe you did even better than I expected".

"I'm glad that was the case", Menelaus said. "Excuse me, leave us alone one moment", the Prime Minister added when he saw Dionysius approaching to them.

"General Panos Coeus has arrived", Dionysius said as soon as Alkaios disappeared. "If you are tired we can start the meeting immediately".

"No, no, I am fine", the Prime Minister replied. "We have not time to lose".

"Great", Dionysius replied. Dionysius had been the Prime Minister's personal assistant from 1597, until he became government speaker a few months ago. A retired military officer, who certainly did not lack communication skills and common sense, he had unexpectedly became one of the Octitanian officials closest and most trusted by Menelaus in his government".

"It seems we have time, at least for now", Dionysius continued, "as Arkianian response remains as endurable as it was two hours ago. He will tell you the details, I guess, but I guess that we would have still time to decide if we should launch our second offensive immediately".

"As soon as you are finished", Dionysius continued as Menelaus was busy reading some documents that his assistant had just given him, "we will leave to Karamati, where we have an act with troops there. It will help to increase the strength of your message and will increase the morale of our troops...Tomorrow we will see again, a two-hour meeting with the General Staff before the council of minister meeting at 10 am. Depending how things go by then, we may decide if you give a second addres after that. It is better avoid to saturate with too much information, at least for now".

"You're probably right", Prime Minister Menelaus replied. "Let's go, it is better not to make the General wait too much".
26 Zechyr, 1599
North Elatokori, Arkiania

Intense fighting continued into the night and by 6:00AM Arkianian reinforcements arrived to replace exhausted and battered troops. Throughout the night Arkianian forces were pushed back towards second to final lines of defense. What ensued was a cool down in the fighting and devolved into static warfare. In Arkanium, Mestran and Arkiania communication channels were still ongoing as well as discussion between the High King and the Emperor of Mestra. A decision was made that Article 1 - Section 8 was to be invoked, and a declaration of war was to be declared on the 1st if things were to escalate. Drahen is to serve humanitarian and logistical support for the war. The Royal Airforce and Royal Navy were put on standby, and Royal Navy was deployed to the sea's on both sides of Krinis. Reinforcements continued to be sent into the fighting, and the airforce continued making attempt to provide close air support. By the end of the day, Arkianian Forces were prepared to launch an offensive to regain lost territory.
27 Zechyr, 1599

The Second Imperial Fleet had set sail from Mestran-Drahen Joint Naval Base early in the morning. The fleet moved at speed towards the Arkianian coast, as preparations were being made for a mass evacuation of the civilian population. Supplies were quickly being moved across the Imperium to the port city of Datium, where refugees from the crisis would be housed. Fighters and bombers were fueled and awaited orders. The target of the aerial assault would be Octitanian forces that held the Arkianians in place. A quick removal of Octitanian air support and bombardment of ground forces by the Imperial Air Force would pave the way for a quick land grab by Arkianian troops. With the front moving back toward Octitania, Mestran forces would land behind the line and begin evacuation of the civilian population from at risk and vital regions.

On the eastern side of the island, the Third Imperial Fleet made preparations to begin a naval blockade and air raids on military targets in Moshofion. The naval might of the Imperium would be brought to bear on Octitanians should war be officially declared. Despite the movement of the Imperial fleets, the First Imperial Fleet would remain near Cias, and continue its long held defense of the Imperial Mainland. Edward would take no chances of retaliatory attacks on the Imperium itself.
28 Zechyr, 1599

General Panos Coeus returned from his fifth meeting with Prime Minister Sephanos Menelaus in the last two weeks.

The second offensive against Arkianian forces was about to start. The number of soldiers mobilized and artillery fired against enemy positions were going to increase. Air strikes and surface-to-surface weaponry was prepared to be used immediately in order to stop any advance of the Arkianian forces, and to prepare terrain for a counter-attack of the Octitanian military.

Still, the operation was limited to areas inside Octitatian territory, at least for now.

Meanwhile, the government continue increasing propaganda for Octitatian population, and diplomatic activity in order to explain the just aims of the Octitanian operation.
28th Zechyr, 1599
North Elatokori, Arkiania

In the early hours of the morning heavy equipment began pouring across the border into what was left of the Arkianian occupation zone. Artillery began pounding Octitanian positions as fresh Arkianian Soldiers began coming from their fighting positions supported by heavy equipment. Airforce jets under the high risk of being shot down began striking vital positions. This was the final bid to push Octitanian forces out of the area and encourage them to back off, though at this point Arkianian High Command viewed this as possibly needed distraction from the bigger offensives planned for when the declaration of war is scheduled. This was the highest escalation of the border war.

In Arkanium, The King and his government continued working and coordinating with allies. Even as war was on the corner Royal Decrees were signed for the liberal reform of the justice and education system. Other Royal Decrees, temporarily decriminalized minor offenses in preparation for the war.
1st Septem, 1599

Prime Minister Sephanos Menelaus addressed the parliament as scheduled that morning, informing the assembly of the ongoing conflict with Arkianian forces in general lines.

Although the nationalists had a majority in the parliament, most of the political parties supported the effort to restore Octitania sovereignty from Arkianian occupation.

However, he did not find much criticism this time from the opposition, or at least not more than expected, from rather a small group of nationalists and independents MPs, who had been supportive of his policies so far.

In their view, the government wasn't doing enough, and the ongoing operation seemed risky to lose the momentum and failing against well-armed and prepared Arkianian forces. A stronger response was needed to recover the territory soon.

Menelaus was not concerned that such criticism could risk his majority, at least for a while, but he realized that it could put him in a complicated situation if such views started to spread in the population.

He finished his speech declaring that the situation was under control, that Octitania would recover control over their own territory. He called again the international community to respect Octitanian sovereignty and rightful right to reestablish order in their own territory. For first time, he declared to be open to negotiations with Arkianian government, but it was required that Arkianian forces completely withdrawn from Octitanian territory first.
1st Septem, 1599

That afternoon, a coded-message was transmitted to all Armed Forces "Syndéste ton Kríni(Unite Krinis)". Arkianian jets began heading towards their operation areas and began striking Octitanian military infrastructure and defensive positions, as well as striking at the points in which forces would be launching their offensives. A combination of self-propelled guns, and rocket artillery began striking their targets. Ground forces began pushing towards isolating Laganda, a larger force further west started pushing northern, and in occupied zones further forces were sent and began pushing as a distraction. At sea, Naval Jets began striking at the Octitanian Navy. This pre-eemptive strike hoped knock out the majority of Octitanian military power from the beginning.

At the same time, the Royal Decree was signed issuing an official declaration of war. The King announced at a press conference, "For the past few days, Octitania has been repeatedly engaging with Arkianian forces inside Arkianian territory in support of terrorists originating from Elatokori. Their attacks had not stopped, in what appears to be an un-declared war against Arkiania. I have signed a royal decree issuing a formal declaration of war." The King then went on to answer questions from the media.