Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Approved Discussion on Algae Based Biofuel
Technology Submission
Technology Report

Name of Origin Country: Republic of Taeunas, Goldecia, Eskkya, Kazemura
Name of Technology/Object: Algal Biofuels

Description:
Mass cultivation of microalgae by various means for extraction by solvent, mechanical or sonic breakdown of cellular material to extract biological produced oils for refinement into bio-diesel, -gasoline and -jet fuels.

Supporting Real Life References:

http://www.syntheticgenomics.com/algal-biofuel/
http://task39.org/files/2013/05/IEA-Task...fuels0.pdf
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy16osti/64772.pdf
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2008/06/1...nt-for-oil
https://energy.gov/eere/videos/energy-101-algae-fuel
https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2016...ch2016.pdf
http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLa...ivAbstract

Republic of Taeunas Database
RTT News

Only the strongest will survive... lead me to heaven when I die...
I am the shadow on the wall... I'll be the one to save us all...

Constitutionalist

DeSchaine's Shipyard
Are there any estimates on the energy density--it seems to be 10% lower than gasoline.

Scanning over the wiki article on aviation biofuel, I'm under the impression that algae/biofuel in general is not considered reasonable source for jet biofuel. Can you provide more information on this stuff?

Additionally, biofuels seem to have a higher temperature where it begins to turn to gel/become unusable compared to gasoline/fossil fuels. Can you dig up any information on when this happens to algae-based biofuels? How would a higher gelification range affect its use?
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire
Holy Emperor: Feryn I
Prime Minister: Klaus Lofgren
The Holy Lanlanian Empire is a multi-ethnic state based in western Brigidna with territories all across the globe. It is a relic of an older age, an absolute monarchy hidden under a functioning democracy. The empire has historically been the world's leading power, though has long been in decline and was recently overtaken by the Republic of Nyland. Nonetheless, the empire is not an opponent to take lightly.

Ishnalli Empire
Empress: Lanryu-il
Chancellor: IDEK
The greatest country in the world. It's YUUUUGGGEEEE.
Actually, the bio version of butanol (C4H9OH) has around 10% less energy density than gasoline. But, it's a  alcohol based fuel source. Biogasoline from certain GMO strains of algae (or other biomasses) on the other hand, is a hydrocarbon fuel, nearly identical to the (C6H14) through (C10H22) alkane hydrocarbons. Some reports even put it as having a higher energy density.

The reason it isn't being considered is amount required vs. the amount available for production. The problem isn't the energy conversion at the user end, it's in current production scaleability, current production cost vs. normal fuel, and a serious lack of research funding for the last 30 years. This paper, if you scroll down to Appendix 1, shows the different groups interested and involved in the current research. EPA, DOE, NASA, GM, Lockheed, Boeing, USAF Office of Scientific Research, Oak Ridge National Lab, etc etc. Granted, this was in 2010, and little progress has been made since then, but you have to ask why that is. Mostly because the people running fuel companies these days are looking for quick, high return-to-investment ratios. They're looking at more "traditional" biofuels and "established processes" as opposed to dumping lots of funding into something that is, by scientific testing standards, brand new and unproven. But the entire reason its so untested is because no one is willing to put the money to it, despite the high yield-to-input possibility, and sharply lower air pollution quotient.

Apparently, biofuel for aviation is an idea on the move. Jatropha produces seeds with 20-40% oil to weight yield, but requires more water to process.. Camelina is another plant with a high oil seed, but also has a high fatty acid content that, if not processed right, will render the fuel unusable in a shorter amount of time, making storage a possible issue. Babassu and coconut oils have also been tested, but have the same potential problem as the Camelina. The reason these and other land based plants are so attractive over algae fuel is the same as above: established processes, simple cultivation with current tech, and the "quick return" idea. If the oil lobby didn't have such a grip on DC for so many decades, we would be 15-20 years ahead of where we are now. Instead, there is almost no research on storage that I could find without dropping a few C-notes to purchase university produced research papers that contain limited specifics on the subject.
RTT News

Constitutionalist

DeSchaine's Shipyard
So do you have any specific methods we could use to mass produce it? Are we just saying we found the right species we could genetically tweak to maximize production and stuffed it into photobioreactors? Are you placing those next to large sources of carbon dioxide or whatever to take advantage of that? Or?
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire
The Holy Lanlanian Empire is a multi-ethnic state based in western Brigidna with territories all across the globe. It is a relic of an older age, an absolute monarchy hidden under a functioning democracy. The empire has historically been the world's leading power, though has long been in decline and was recently overtaken by the Republic of Nyland. Nonetheless, the empire is not an opponent to take lightly.

Ishnalli Empire
The methods to grow the algae are pretty straight forward, it's just a matter of initial cost to scale up production, and then the quantity or quality argument.  Bioreactors's are good for smaller quantities of much higher quality algae. Pond type systems produce way more, but it has the potential for lower quality due to contaminants. "Closed" ponds mitigate this somewhat, but not totally. Also, polycultures seem to be better than monocultures when using algae strains in ponds, but monocultures work better in PBRs.

Of total algae production, Taeunas would be looking at around a 35/65 split in the PBR/Pond methods. Harvesting would be a mixed process of filtering, flocculation and centrifuge methods. Global Algae came up with a new filter membrane back in 2016 that supposedly has a 100% harvest rate, so even dropping that, we'd still be getting pretty good returns. For processing, we'd go with a hydrothermal liquefaction process to get about a 50% return per unit of weight. There are other processes, but they don't seem to be as efficient. I'm looking for production measuring about 4% of total fossil fuel consumption, with an increase of about .2-.3% a year.

St. Mary's Cement in Ontario has teamed up with what is now PondTech. It's actually a misnomer, they specialize in closed loop bioreactors. Their research has shown that a single unit of algae "eats" TWICE its weight of CO2 during it's growth cycle. When next to a plant that produces 540,000 tonnes of CO2 a year, that is a LOT of potential, IF you can scale it up to take full advantage of that.
RTT News

Constitutionalist

DeSchaine's Shipyard
The Directorate:
  • clarifies the subject of this discussion is the "mass production of algae-based biofuels"
  • approves this submission,
  • recognizes Taeunas as an industry leader,
  • notes the following:
100% biogasoline is interchangeable with conventional gasoline. This means that biofuel could be distributed using existing infrastructure and not require significant, if any, modifications to engines. Once production of the biofuel reaches a certain level, it's expected to be pretty cheap. As the cultivation of algae consumes CO2, a transition to biofuels would slay global warming and instead over-oxygenize the atmosphere and kill us all with oxygen poisoning. The end.
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire

Ishnalli Empire
Many thanks to the Directorate. Taeunas can now embark on its ambition to crash the global petrochemical market.
RTT News

Constitutionalist

DeSchaine's Shipyard
Well, more like have the prestige of having the BEST biogasoline, but okay.
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire

Ishnalli Empire