Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Warm Summer Stroll
I listen quietly as he talks of my sister's work and smile. So, he had an appreciation photography huh? Looks like my expectations were on point. Then it was very good I brought my "trusted adviser" along on this vacation; that should round out the numbers perfectly then.

He quickly accepts our offer to come and visit the shrine, and then bows with a sense of formality. As much as I would like to avoid such formality during the vacation, it is possible that it would play nicely into my devious little plan. Well, I suppose it isn't exactly devious; I do feel a sense of pride in it though. Still, it's best to play this by ear. I clasp my hands together and smile at him.

"Wonderful!" I exclaim, as I hear footsteps from upstairs. "Then we'll leave the moment Mami returns if that is alright with you. Of course, if you'd like to have a look over the guest room and grab anything from it that's fine as well. It is a lovely sight up at the shrine... we won't tell if you decide to take a picture or two."
"Of course, your majesty." This would be a splendid time, I hoped anyway. It didn't take long for Mami to return to the rest of us and we prepared to set off. I had as suggested gone to the guest house to fetch some things. I changed from my suit into hiking clothes. They were still suitable of course for a member of the Imperial family and more than enough for even an informal state visit. As I left the house, I grabbed a wooden box, larger than a brief case and quite a lot heavier. I return to my hosts with haste as we prepared to set out.

Mami seemed to take an interest in the box as I lugged it with us. "While you enjoy taking photographs, I enjoy painting. I hope I might be permitted to paint some of the scenery while we are at the shrine."
Mami Sekai

So after screaming for a solid few minutes I started to flip through my dossier to see when the Hell his name came up. I'm admittedly still ready to scream, this time without the pillow. In fact, the only things holding me back are concerns that they'll hear me down the hallway and that I'll shatter my throat in the process. So instead, I'll take my frustration out on the dossier, which just so conveniently does not list the fucking Emperor as our guest!

"That. Bitch." I slam the dossier close and take a deep breath. She thinks this is funny!? What the Hell kind of game is she playing? I was speaking to the Emperor of the Mestran Imperium this whole time in such an informal fashion, and I didn't recognize until he said his first name. I made a mockery of myself and this damn dossier wouldn't have helped anyways! I stand and take another deep breath. Grabbing my phone, I begin to text Mirai for a straight answer, when I get a text from her.

"Make nice. Yell at me later. He's actually pretty nice... ^_^"

I click my tongue and mutter, typing a reply back. If she thinks she's gonna pull this crap, she has another thing coming. I don't care if she's the Empress or even Muze herself; no one blindsides me like that! I know what she's trying to do and I will not let this happen.

"I know what you're doing. Stop it."

Before I send it though, two voices at the back of my head stops me, sending a chill up my spine. The first is that obnoxious voice that reminds me about my duty as a Princess of Kazemura. The expansion of the royal family, the marriages to nobility, all that shit... the same voice I try to break away from just won't leave me alone! The one that always get told by everyone. The media, the National Council, my own damn family. I have to marry nobility or royalty to preserve the family line and the Imperial name and all that other stupid stuff.

But that's not the chilling factor today. No, it's the second voice, the one that calls out to my passions. The desire to travel the world, to document it all in photographs, is calling to me to take a moment to think about this. This is a person who appreciates that work. Clearly he has an eye for it, right? And he seemed genuinely interested in seeing the full panorama that I put up. This is someone who might actually be supportive of my work.

I can't ignore my duty. But I refuse to ignore what inspires me as well. If those two things could be reconciled... then, maybe. And even if not, making friends with foreign leaders is part of my job. Fine then Mami. I'll give this a go. With my mind made up- at least, for now- I delete the text I was about to send and send one word.

"Fine," I repeat aloud, sending it to her. I grab my equipment and make my way down the hall, shifting my tone and expressions to give off a more positive impression. Smiling, I make my way down the stairs and towards the main hallway, where Mirai, Hiraku, and the damned Emperor of the Mestran Imperium were waiting for me.

"Sorry for the wait. Shall we depart?" I ask them. Mirai nods and we start to step through the front doors, me with my camera equipment and Edward with a rather large wooden box. I look at him and give him a questioning look. He looks at me and explains.

"While you enjoy taking photographs, I enjoy painting. I hope I might be permitted to paint some of the scenery while we are at the shrine." Oh. Shit. Well, this just got quite a bit more interesting.

"It's no problem at all," Mirai answers, giving him a smile. "Mami-san and I enjoy paintings, so all we ask is that when you do finish it we get to see it!" She flashes a grin and I nod in agreement, still wondering why she was pushing full throttle on all of this. What is she planning exactly?

"Yeah," I respond, giving a small smile. "I must admit I'm not good at painting; honestly that's why I took up photography instead. Oh, but I definitely enjoy other people's work!"
We began walking towards the shrine. It was an uphill jaunt through the countryside, but I didn't mind. It was a quite beautiful country and the company was enjoyable.

"Yeah," Mami responded with a small smile. Something about her smile stole my breath, why was that I wondered. "I must admit I'm not good at painting; honestly that's why I took up photography instead. Oh, but I definitely enjoy other people's work!" She like paintings, that was good. I would definitely make a promise to show them what I painted, especially her.

"I will gladly show you what I paint today. Perhaps, you should consider visiting the Summer Palace in Mestra. There are many great paintings by great artists of the past." My heart stopped, what had I just done. I feel my cheeks go flush with blood; a drip of sweat forming on my brow. My mind raced, recalling over and over the words I had just uttered. How could I invite someone I barely knew to visit the Summer Palace? Let alone a member of a foreign royal family. Such things were not done, especially not in the Imperium.

'She did agree to show you the panorama,' a little voice in the back of my mind whispered. I couldn't argue you with it, perhaps my invitation would be seen as a kind gesture in return. Of course, it could go horribly wrong. Maybe I could rectify the situation, make it clear the invitation was for the entire Kazemura royal family. I could indeed do that, but a small part of me refused to allow those words to come to my mouth. I smiled quickly at her, and returned my focus to the path ahead. Worry spread across me though, and it was a feeling I wasn't accustomed to.
As we walk along the dirt pathway, I notice Edward looking around at the countryside, taking in all the natural splendor as we ascend towards the top of the nearby hill. I can't help but smile a little as he does. Slowly I look out to right of the path as we pass under another red gate and watch the rolling waves of the bay with a small smile. The sun had already climbed high into the sky, escaping the grasp of it I had earlier this morning. Unfortunate as it was, I can still make the sun work for me in another fashion; it was actually in a lovely enough position to cast shadows upon-

"Perhaps, you should consider visiting the Summer Palace in Mestra. There are many great paintings by great artists of the past." I blink and look at Edward as he finishes speaking. Strange; I'm not angry at him. Oh, don't get me wrong, I am absolutely touched by the offer and will absolutely accept it. However, I usually abhor when someone interrupts my train of thought, specifically when photography is on the mind. It's definitely why Hiraku has a terrified look in his eye right now and probably why Mirai is looking at me with amusement.

Still, it's the Emperor of the Mestran Imperium. He clearly excused my faux pas. I can excuse him for something he clearly didn't know about.

"The Summer Palace in Mestra huh?" I asked, smiling brightly. "That sounds lovely." I notice his cheeks grow a bit flush and look away, pretending not to notice, but still smiling all the same. I look back over at him and add, "I would definitely love to visit. You just tell me when and I'll make sure Mirai-san is too busy to notice I'm gone."

"Hey!" She replied with a mock scowl before smirking. "In all seriousness, having taken the throne only a few months ago I will unfortunately be busy. So, I'll have to just put Mami-san on the case with her expert photography skills. I want good photos though; like, really good ones!" At that moment we stop before a series of stone stairs carved into the side of the hill. On that pathway up, there's a few red gates to pass through to lead up to the shrine at the top of the hill.

"They'll be so amazing you'll feel like you were there," I reply with a smile before taking the first step up. I turn to Edward and ask "By the way, will you be alright carrying that box up? It is a bit of a climb up these stairs."
Well that went better than I had expected. I felt a great burden lift from my stomach as my nerves eased. It would be a delight to give her a tour of the Summer Palace, after all it was an exquisite place to be even it was a little grand. I hadn't dared invite her to the Corali House. That was a little too personal at this moment, although a part of me wanted to show her the forests and lakes of the estate. It was my favorite place to be.

"I'll be alright. A little hard work makes the end result all that more precious." I heaved the box up and followed after her. However I may look, the box was heavy and there were more stairs than I could count. My arm was growing sore as we continued our trek up towards the shrine. 'Why on earth would you build a shrine this high up' was all that ran through my mind. I focused on keeping my breath calm and held firm to the box. I couldn't allow Mami or anyone else see me falter. I had to remain strong.

By the time we reached the top, I understood why the shrine was build so far up and the hard work was definitely worth it. The shrine stood atop what seemed to be a great mountain. The trees parted revealing a clearing. I could see the ocean from here; the sun still rising into the sky. Clouds raced across the blue sky. It was a sight to behold. I took a deep breath in. "Its amazing." I gave Mami a large smile before I found a good spot to set up.

Opening the box revealed that nothing had moved and the straps remained in place. I removed the foldable easel and set it up. I only had room for a small canvas in the box. It was too small to capture the beauty of this place, but it would have to do. Perhaps, I would be allowed to visit this place again and with a far larger canvas.

I set out to work on my masterpiece, or at least I hoped it would be. After all, I was competing with the renowned Mami the photographer. I chuckled internally as I mixed the colors and set the brush to the canvas. It seemed like hours by the time the prayers were done. I would have thought I hadn't seen Mami much as she moved around the area snapping photographs. She was one with her work, as was I. It was only when the others had moved towards me that I realized what I had done.

The paining was indeed one of my finest works, despite the small size. The landscape captured the marvel of the shrines architecture, the subtlety of the trees that guarded the border of the shrine, and the cliff side with its seamless transition from the vibrant green grass to the blue sky with clouds of cotton wisps. What stood out from the piece and what was focal point was a young woman. She stood on the edge of the cliff, hair waiving in the air. The light shown down upon her illuminating her features. This woman was at peace with all the grace that entailed. Yet there had been no woman on the cliff side that had stood thus. I realized as I looked at my work, the woman was Mami, I had drawn her as I had seen her taking photos. I blushed quickly at this realization, and made move to hid the painting but alas my guests had arrived. Their eyes locking on the painting.

My breath caught in my throat. The world seemed to freeze as I my eyes locked onto Mami's.
From the look upon his face I know he understands what makes this place so special. The way the shrine nestles into the mountainside. The trees parting just so perfectly to reveal the blue expanse of the sea. The silence, broken only by the chirping of the birds from the distance and the crashing of the waves along the cliff side down below.

The Shrine of the Dragon’s Tooth always did have that wow factor that left even the most artistically disinclined awe-struck. Thankfully, the Mestran Emperor has an appreciative eye for beauty. As he takes in the sights and utters his compliments, I can’t help but smile to him. Before I can tease him however, Mirai heads over to the shrine’s outer steps and beckons me to follow to begin the ceremony.

I’m embarrassed to admit, this is both my favorite and least favorite part of this day. The ritual requires prayers to start which is easy enough. But the Harvest Prayers also require a ceremonial dance to appease not only Muze but the Fates as well. This is best done with two members of the Imperial Family and... well, you can guess.

I love to dance. I love to sing. I HATE doing both in front of others, ESPECIALLY foreign Emperors who may be silently watching my rather clumsy movements. And while my sister claims that no, I’m not clumsy and I move with such grace and splendor that it rivals Mother, I strongly disagree. I move about as gracefully as a whale in tea shop.

Regardless, I oblige my sister’s rather outlandish request and perform the ceremonial dance, song and prayer and all. Oh and yes, beautiful religious attire transformations as well; can’t forget about the ceremonial garbs.

So we dance. And we sing. And we feel the Fates course through our souls, tying us to all the people of Heiwana, even the world. And we pray. We pray forgiveness for our clumsy start to the new reign. We pray for blessing upon the upcoming harvest for not just the people of Kazemura but for all people of Heiwana and even the world. We pray for no child to go unfed, to ensure that the Fates flow through them all back to Muze’s warm embrace.

And I have to say... even though I don’t believe in all the old ways, even though I disdain some of the traditions... when I dance in ceremonies like this, I truly feel oneness within and without my soul. Yes, even if I can’t dance for shit, I still feel the energy vibrate all around me. I still feel connected by the threads of Fate with all living things in the world. And yes, I feel as though these prayers have a ripple effect throughout the Fates that will ensure a wonderful harvest for all.

Eventually, the ritual ends and we say our final prayers. Mirai then takes some time to roam the Shrine with Hiraku. Meanwhile, I take time to photograph many of its nooks and crannies, finding perfect moments to capture its everlasting beauty while Edward continues to work on what will hopefully be his next masterpiece. Some time later, I return to the Shrine’s outer steps and meet up with Hiraku and Mirai. We then swiftly make our way over to Edward and his finished piece. As we approach the piece, I slowly come to a halt as I take it in full. Front and center, taking pictures of the cliff side, is me. I can’t help but drink in every minute detail he painted of me.

I can’t help it. I’m sincerely touched that I can be one of his inspirations for such a beautiful work and impressed at the painstaking detail he put into it. But...

“I know it’s supposed to be me, but she’s far too beautiful. Definitely an A for effort though.” My mouth splits into a cheeky grin as both Hiraku and Mirai look at me, thoroughly amused by my antics. I turn to Edward and add, “That being said, I’m honored that you’d paint me like this.”
At least no one seemed unhappy with my painting, especially Mami. I relaxed a bit, thought still apprehensive about the situation. "My grandmother always told me that art was but a mere reflection of our inner self. Not just for the artist but for that which gave the artist inspiration. Perhaps, if I may be so bold, you are far more than you know, far more than you wish to accept. You are as you are, and you are as I see you, as you are reflected here." I point at the painting with the brush. My stomach now in knots, I lay the brush down upon the easel and snap to attention in as graceful a manner I can muster and bow to Mami. I gently take her hand kissing the back of it. "I hope my candor will not be received in a manner unfitting." I stand back up, releasing her hand and smile. I wander away from the painting and this fascinating woman and move around the clearing. I position myself near the cliffs to get a good view of the surroundings, and of the ocean. It was not the only breathtakingly beautiful thing here.