Poll: Pick something you'd actually play
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Armello
40.00%
6 40.00%
Tabletop Simulator
33.33%
5 33.33%
Golf With Your Friends
26.67%
4 26.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam Summer Sale Conundrum
So as some people have noticed, Steam Summer Sale's here, that point in the year where you buy all the games you plan on playing for the next several months because you know sales come regularly and you can't afford them otherwise. Or, is that just me?

Sal and I want to play games with people. We've had several things on our wishlist for a while that we'd love to play, but they require other people, and playing with people you don't know is dumb because you can't shit talk without someone getting ALL OFFENDED or whatever. Also, we have Discord now, so that's a thing. Anyway, I've been thinking of gifting some shit (like we gifted shit before), but I'm not going to buy this stuff for people if they're not going to play them. There are three games under consideration that we might get and play as a group, so tell me what you'll actually play.

note: Sal may potentially get, like, some copies of the runnerup as gift rewards for the Authors' Challenge later in the year. Maybe Q4, around Christmas.

#1) Armello ($12 on sale)
This is a cute and gorgeous computerized board game. The objective is simple: become the next King (or Queen) of Armello. Pick your character, some items, and go on your quest. Be careful, though, as the game only has a finite number of turns before it ends. It looked like hella fun when I watched it played, and it's gorgeous - did I mention it's gorgeous already?

The Cons: It's expensive at $12 (on sale), and triple that for the DLC. I can't afford to gift the base game to more than a couple people.

#2) Tabletop Simulator ($10 on sale; $7.50 ea. if bought via 4-pack)
You know it. You love it. This is the massive online board game simulator, and an example of what would happen if you took Desperate Gods to its logical conclusion (except it might actually work). The game comes with all the classics already, but also includes an entire workshop of thousands of free player-created board games and puzzles to play, as well as about 28 premium DLC games built and licensed by the creators of their physical counterparts. The game sets up the board for you, but that's it: no rules are enforced by the computer, and all moves are performed in a shared physical space, just like if you were playing a board game in real life.

The Cons: You can flip the table. Please don't.

#3 Golf With Your Friends ($4.19 on sale)
You golf. You minigolf. You minigolf with your friends. It's a fun little way to pass the time and get frustrated at your own ineptitude. Also, it's cheap, so I can actually afford to get this for several people.

The Cons: Literally none. I am not biased.
Poll is up, for ease of stuff 'n' stuff. Please vote and talk about the stuff you'd actually play.

If there's other group stuff you'd play that's not on the poll, by all means tell us about it. We'll discuss it.

Poll closes on the 3rd of July
Voting for Armello and Tabletop Sim. Not that I wouldn't play Golf With Friends, but that A.) I'd be more likely to play those two more regularly and B.) I already have Tabletop Sim.
I also still have two spare copies of Castle Crashers, two copies of Guns of Icarus Online, and three copies of Hammerwatch just sitting in my inventory. Not related to this whole poll thing, just...you know, in general, in case those are games people don't have but want to play together.
For some reason I can't open the steam store because it just gets stuck loading. #lame
I'm just saying guys, Golf With Your Friends is, like, really tite yo
Well, because Steam is run by complete money-grubbing asshats, I'm going to have to look elsewhere for gifting copies of these games. Apparently, Valve decided to break the Steam gift purchasing system in order to fix a problem that didn't exist. You can read all about it in this thing.

Basically, the problem is that you can now only directly gift to people on your friends list, and only right then at the time of purchase (you can, however, delay the notification of the gift to whenever you want). You can only gift to one person though, meaning if, say, I want to buy 10 people Golf With Your Friends, I have to buy all 10 copies in 10 different transactions and make my credit issuer concerned as I waste time going through the cart>purchase>gift sequence repeatedly. I also have to plan ahead and know everyone that wants stuff in advance instead of just buying cool stuff and giving it away because I'm a cool philanthropic dude like that...which you know won't happen, because I don't plan shit. Flipped Smile

Not only that, but, say, someone is goofing off or otherwise clicks the decline button and the thing's no longer on sale, I now have to hope and wait for the game to go on sale again sometime in the future to afford gifting it again.

So yeah, I'mma probably just grab a 4-pack of Tabletop Sim while I can, and see if I can find the other stuff on sale somewhere else (like GOG, where all your games are DRM-free!)