Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fork in the Road
[Image: GwEL3k5.jpg?1]

We have not forgotten about the murder of Piotr Kohut! We have not forgotten how this Constitutional Court helped to rig the elections of 1578. We have not forgotten about Roman Tsikhin and Anzhela Vishnevskaya, members of the Election Comission that heroically defied the corrupt proceedings, and who have been in jail since 1577! We have not forgotten how Opposition leader Mikita Marcinkiewic was beaten into a coma by the riot police! We have not forgotten how the daughter of Oleg Zayats, editor of an opposition newspaper, was kidnapped! Enough is Enough. We want our country back! Vynnychuk: Resign!

The protests had lasted for two weeks now. Instead of shrinking, they were only growing larger and larger. Especially in Sierada and Yagaila, massive crowds had set up permanent camps before the government buildings in public squares. People from various backgrounds saw that this was a powerful movement, and maybe, something would finally change. Many neutral observers began to take sides, and if they did, it was often against the government. Vynnychuk seemed old, weak, confused, and indecisive. His daughter and heir-apparent was corrupt and hated. As long as the demonstrations remained peaceful, they could count on the sympathy of the public.

The media still refused to cover the events, only mentioning that ''extremists'' were continuing their ''occupation'' of public spaces. The situation was reaching a stalemate. The government had already promised reforms but refused to give anything more, the protesters demanded Vynnychuk's resignation, and the authorities were incapable of clearing the squares.

Ksenia Vynnychuk was growing increasingly worried about the entire situation. If the government did not restore its authority soon, the regime might begin to lose its allies. People currently supporting Vynnychuk might defect and present themselves as the new saviours of the people. Ksenia was working in her office when her telephone on the secure line rang. She quickly picked it up. ''Yes?''

''Mrs. Vynnychuk, the President has summoned you to his residence. A car is waiting.''

Ksenia knew that it was important, but she didn't know why she had been called by her father. The man had become very distant lately, and she wouldn't miss an opportunity to speak to him in person. Ksenia assembled her personal staff and descended to the underground tunnels of her office, leading to another building that was seemingly an unimportant administrative building. Nowadays it served as the secret exit of the Vice-President's office so that she could get away unseen. Surrounded by a group of bodyguards, some belonging to the UGB, others privately hired by Ksenia, and more others working for the Office of the President, Ksenia quickly vanished into a black car with a motorcade. An hour later, they reached a mansion, hidden in the ancient Turau forests that surrounded the capital.

Ksenia was welcomed by the security adviser of Vynnychuk at his house. Vynnychuk's staff quickly guided her to the man's bedroom, where he was sitting on his bed in his pyjama's. The room was lavishly decorated with gold and paintings, the bed's sheets were made of silk, and the furniture was made of the finest wood.

But Ksenia was shocked to find her father in such a poor condition. His head was completely bald. His skin was pale. He had lost weight. His eyes were lifeless. He couldn't even smile when he saw Ksenia. The doctors in the room left as Ksenia sat down next to her father. ''What is happening?''

''Listen... Ksenia.'' The president then coughed a few times. ''I cannot... I do not have the energy required to steer the country. I'm giving you the keys. All decisions are now yours to make. I will be here to help you and give you advice. But I have a battle on my hands that is too demanding now. I need you as my co-captain.''

Ksenia listened to her father's shaky voice. This was it then. The old man was giving up his power. The old man was now a dying man. ''How long do you have left?''

The president was not responding to that question. ''How long?'' she then asked demandingly. Vynnychuk looked into her eyes. ''I am already living beyond my expected time.''

After some ten minutes, the President demanded everyone to leave him alone as he was tired and needed to rest. Ksenia left her father and was followed by his and her own entourage to her car that was waiting for her outside. ''Prepare the UGB sniper formations. I want them on the rooftops surrounding the square in the capital. I shall have order in my country. I shall not allow a bunch of indoctrinated students to ruin my father's work.'' Ksenia then entered her car, and was driven immediately to the Ministry of Defence.

Messages In This Thread
The Fork in the Road - by Nentsia - 06-25-2017, 06:53 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road - by Nentsia - 06-27-2017, 11:30 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road - by Nentsia - 06-29-2017, 02:10 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road - by Nentsia - 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road - by Nentsia - 07-30-2017, 11:12 PM
RE: The Fork in the Road - by Nentsia - 11-10-2017, 12:08 AM