Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The War of the Imperial Succession
SCENARIO: In 1321 CE, Emperor Joseph II died with no heirs and no succession plan in place to establish any measure of continuity. The end result was the fall of the Athelonian Dynasty and the beginning of what is known as the War of the Imperial Succession, sometimes also referred to as the Fourth Civil War. The war, mostly political, had its share of violence and bloodshed and lasted until 1338, when Tassadar assumed the Throne and formed the Aiurian Dynasty and began the process of industrializing Angiris.

HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: The War of the Imperial Succession was originally not in the original OOC history of the Angirisian Empire or the Near East. I thought of this to plug in a little hole. Plus, it would provide the basis for the eventual industrialization of the Angirisian Empire and the end of the last major political crisis in Angirisian history.

WHO CAN BE INVOLVED: Anyone. I need a few players who can RP three of the four factions involved in this war. I will be RPing the forces loyal to the eventual Emperor Tassadar, who was based in Aiuria. The other factions will be based in Angleterre, Virginium and Arreat. I will provide a map as to who controls what territories and who are loyal to these factions. Outside of Angiris, border nations with Angiris such as Pythos, Ceribia, or others (provided they exist) can have some role in this battle. Angirisian then-allies such as Mestra are strongly encouraged to participate.

WHY? Well, while the outcome is assured that Tassadar will win this war and become Emperor, this does provide a basis as to how the Aiurian Dynasty came to be and it provides the foundations for the Industrial Era in Angiris. This could be the last significant pre-Industrial war in this part of the world, if not the world in general.

So, what do you think?
AERANDARIEL
THE GENTLEMAN VILLAIN

The Angirisian Empire/Dominion (2014- 2020)
The Solhaven Confederacy (2017-2020)
The Romulan Republic (2019-2020)

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." - John Quincy Adams

Well, 1321 was supposed to be smack in the middle of Carpathia's golden age, so I'll get involved. I'll have Carpathia support Tassadar, simply due to the fact that the modernization would increase trade and would thus be profitable for Carpathia.
I might want to take a small rural based faction. What historical era does it take place in? Im guessing late 1700s RL equivalent?

Would there be any specific rules I'd have to take into account?
Is this when the Kyrzbek warriors ransacked and pillaged Cathedrium?
The Imperium will likely send troops and ships to support whichever faction you wish. I assume it would be Tassadar, given he would be the next emperor and the assumed continuing alliance between the Empire and the Imperium.
(10-08-2016, 01:17 PM)Hadash Wrote: Is this when the Kyrzbek warriors ransacked and pillaged Cathedrium?

No I believe this is where Angiris fell under the dominion of the Kubanizan Empire.
Overview of the War
[Image: 4Y1hsyB.png]

Legend
Red - Legion of Bul'Kathos; the group loyal to Arreatian lord Bul'Kathos, who was named for the ancient king of Mount Arreat during the Angiris's war to claim the sacred mountain. Bul'Kathos wished to create the first Arreatian-based dynasty in Angirisian history, which would have brought with it a new age of militarism, conquest and warfare that would have propelled the Empire into a tumultuous period and upset the balance of the Near East. Bul'Kathos' forces held all of Arreat and Xiansai, as well much of Scosglen, Khanduras and Westmarch, including Mount Arreat itself including the cities of Tristram, Kingsport, Wortham, Sescheron, Harrogath and Entsteig.

Blue - The Imperial Legion; the Imperial Legion had some measure of influence during the War of the Imperial Succession. The military hoped to be able to crown a new Emperor from their own ranks, and thus put forth Legion High Commander Marius Tullius as their choice. However despite numerous advantages, the Legion did not possess total control of the Empire and this alone dampened their hope for a quick ascension. Tullius promised a return to order and to begin the process of modernizing Angiris's political, military and social infrastructure. His forces controlled all of Athelon, nearly all of Angleterre and much of Skovos as well as northeastern Westmarch, southern Khanduras and a sliver of Kehjistan around the city of Caldeum. But most importantly Tullius' Legion held the two most important Angirisian cities: the economic center in Westmarch City and the all-important Imperial City of Cathedrium.

Green - The Virginium Consortium; a group of financiers and businessmen led by the great merchant Marcius Grecius who hoped to buy their way to power in Cathedrium and perhaps even the Throne itself. Grecius wanted to build a dynasty out of Virginium, which had rarely seen power shift that far east. The Consortium's plan was to restore trade and keep the flow of funds coming into the Eastern Empire in order to put on a mighty economic show of force and offset the other factions. The Consortium held all of Virginium, Ohiae and Aranoch as well as most of Kehjistan. This included virtually all of the East's most important cities, such as Fairfaxium, Appomattox, Cuyahogium, Columbiana, as well as the southern bastion of Lut Gholein. But the most important city the Consortium controlled was Caldeum but their control is tested in the face of an Imperial Legion siege.

Gold - The Aiurian Protectorate; the Praetoss of Aiuria, famed for their scientific discoveries as well as shrewd diplomacy, believed that a peaceful way to move forward was essential to keep the Empire intact. Led by Executor Tassadar and backed by Aiuria's state Conclave, the Aiurians made a quick claim to the Throne, despite hold the least territory among the factions. However, the Aiurians realized that peace would only be achieved through force and prepared a massive army. Though only possessing Aiuria and a fraction of Scosglen, Khanduras, Angleterre and a large chunk of Skovos, the Aiurians have become the internationally recognized faction to back, and already enjoy the support of the Carpathians and Mestrans among others. The Aiurians hold their central city of Aiur as well as Paladium, Amazonium, Druidae, Talometros and Bel Shir.

Nentsia Wrote:I might want to take a small rural based faction. What historical era does it take place in? Im guessing late 1700s RL equivalent?

Would there be any specific rules I'd have to take into account?
Well... the War took place in 1321 CE, and that was just before Angiris industrialized. Depending on when Brigidna and other areas went industrial, then yes this would probably place this around the late 1700s IRL. As far as a small rural based faction... many rural groups are pledged to Virginium or Arreat so you could probably either control one of them or create one of your own.

Remember, this is pre-industrial so think about your units: pikes, halberds, some first-gen firearms like matchlocks, heavy armors, cavalry and swords are the norm.
AERANDARIEL
THE GENTLEMAN VILLAIN

The Angirisian Empire/Dominion (2014- 2020)
The Solhaven Confederacy (2017-2020)
The Romulan Republic (2019-2020)

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." - John Quincy Adams

I think late 1700s is a bit late for that level of technology. This might be closer to the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). Unless the Angirisian Empire is so backwards that they are still using pikes while the rest of Brigidna has moved on to almost all-firearms armies.
Given the positioning of the Aiurian lands and the positioning of the whole of the Empire, would it be fair to assume that Mestra would have likely blockaded the Empire, cutting off its access to the ocean? This would likely have been coordinated with the Carpathians. Im assuming Mestra would also lay siege to port cities, rather than sending in actual troops.

Just thinking ahead of course. Might also be nice to understand why the Angrisian-Mestran treaty was considered valid for the Aiurians. Curious for RP purposes, but regardless they will have the full support of the Imperium. I suppose an eventual IC reason is that the Imperium couldn't allow its ally in the north to fall, that would be disastrous for regional security, and a great loss to the cultural identity of the two nations.
I'm questioning why Mestra and Carpathia would instantly support the one faction that seems to have the least chance of winning.