Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPNS
[Image: C90pXWFVoAEMjM5.jpg]

Jerome Thomson:Thank you Mr Harlton for agreeing to this interview. I very much hope we can get to the issues today and get a good perspective on your views for the voters.

Anthony Harlton:Thank you for having me. I would remind you that the appropriate title you should use when addressing me is Mr. President.

JT:So Mr President you have had 5 years in office since your controversial deal with the NF. What would you say you have achieved in office?

AH:First of all, I would like to state that as a party, we were forced into a deal with the NF due to the result of the election at the time. We were forced with the decision of going into a coalition with the NF or forcing the country back to the polls. We ultimately decided that it was in the country's interests to not have another vote. Our coalition government has introduced tax reforms that have benefited our country's most vulnerable and also the middle class. The working man now, thanks to our government, keeps more of his own money, able to spend it on whatever he wishes. Immigration, which has been a concern of the vast majority of Mandavine citizens for a while, has been curbed under our administration. Numbers entering the country have dropped to the tends of thousands and we have introduced much stricter criteria for those wishing to make this country their home. 

JT:Would you say immigration policy has perhaps ended up pushing more to the far right and your general direction of government has pushed far right since your coalition? And what is your response to critics who say by going into coalition you have boosted the far right and increased legitimacy of racism and homophobia?

AH:I would say that the recklessness of consecutive PD governments with regards to immigration pushed ordinary people to the far-right and with the reforms we introduced peoples' concerns have finally been listened to. That is the fact here. Thanks to our policies, I actually think the far-right will become less significant. If you listen to people, people will have no reason to dabble with the far-right.

JT:You said its down to 10's of thousands but the statistics actually show its in the100's of thousands. We also have employers complaining how hard it is to fill positions where there is a shortage of Mandavinians creating less jobs and economic growth overall. How do you respond to this?

AH:Our economy has always grown faster under the republicans than under the PD. That is a fact. Read the statistics, they are out there, so I don't think there is any legitimacy to these "concerns". In the last year alone, our country took in under 100,000 immigrants. The reforms have taken time to introduce. It is as simple as that. This year, we expect the number to be under 100,000 as well.

JT:That doesn't address the concerns that employers are struggling to find enough qualified Mandevinians to fill the jobs that immigrants used to help fill. What is your response to that?

AH:As I said, I don't believe there is any legitimacy to these supposed concerns.

JT:Okay , we can acknowledge the economy  has grown under the Republicans albeit slower than the government before you, yet according to James , Together and the PD the working class have failed to benefit and this is reducing growth that could have been achieved. Poverty despite growth has increased 19% in 5 years with poverty among minorities having increased at double the rate. What do you say to those who your party has impoverished with the reduction in public services to pay for your tax cuts for the rich?

AH:We do not have a bottomless bucket. There is a limit to the amount of money we can spend, particularly since we are trying to reduce our national debt. The cuts are hard, and they were hard decisions to make, but they were vital and sadly inevitable. As I mentioned before, the tax cuts introduced helped the working man as well as the middle class. Yes, corporate taxes were lowered too, in order to make the Mandavine Union an attractive place for international companies to settle. This ultimately has created jobs. Jobs that have helped ordinary Mandavines. 

JT:Yet poverty has grown over 19%. Furthermore James has called for a single payer system in order to reduce the bankruptcy rate to medical treatment from those who surpass insurance maximums or can't afford insurance? Why has your government let this situation continue to get worse year on year and what plans do you have if any to deal with it?

AH:We increased funding to existing programmes that cater for those who have no insurance. My government will continue to look at funding of these programmes and increase the budgets when necessary. I do not believe in a single payer system and in fact believe it would be harmful. Our current system needs reform perhaps, but the answer is not a single payer system.  

JT:Homophobic laws have appeared and passed in more state parliaments usually due to Republican and National Front Coalitions with LGBT rights regressing and nationwide homophobic attacks increasing? Do you today on behalf of your party condemn all homophobia and vow never to work with homophobic parties in the future and fix all the damage your government has caused on this front?

AH:I condemn all hate and bigotry. However, I do not believe at all that the laws passed constitute as homophobic. State assemblies have introduced laws stating that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. It's as simple as that. I too believe that is the case, as does the vast majority of people in the Mandavine Union. are we a nation of homophobes? Not at all. We are a very welcoming place, it just so happens we are a predominantly Messianic nation and this definition of marriage is thus part of our belief system.

JT:So you don't believe two men or two women are equal to two straight people? I would also suggest to you that you are wrong that your views are the majority view with polls showing between 55-62% currently supporting gay marriage.

AH:According to your polls, but most polls do not support your findings. The vast majority of polls find that support for same-sex marriage is well below 50% here. Do I believe these people are equal? Yes, I do. They have the same rights as everyone else. 

JT:So they have the right to a marriage then? So is your stance two of the same sex in a couple don't deserve the same marriage rights as two of the opposite sex?

AH:Marriage, as I said, is the union of one man and one woman. You cannot redefine words. It is quite simple really.

JT:Okay then since we've established that then. According to James you squandered a good opportunity to achieve long term piece in the Belayzemlya and Eretzoran region by failing to secure proper long term trade deals as well as deals in other areas of co-operation while moderates were in charge. What do you say to allegations your siding with the Eretzoran right-wing has put back long term peace by many years?

AH:Under my administration, cooperation between the two states has increased. We encouraged both sides to meet regularly, which they have done. We cannot, however, force our ally Eretzora into some sort of deal that it does not wish to pursue. At the end of the day, Eretzora is an independent nation. It alone will choose its policies. We side with neither the right wing nor the left wing in Eretzora, so the accusation is baseless. Quite simply, the Republicans support the right of the Eretzoran nation to defend itself when attacked. The Republicans have a proud record on our commitment to Eretzora and the Alsterenist people.

JT:But you have great influence over them , yet you failed to secure concrete treaties? Will you be remembered as the president who extended the conflict there by a decade?

AH:Trust must be earned. Eretzoran political leaders are reluctant to enter formal treaties at the present time.  

JT:You are currently polling at less than 40% against James 50% + . Is this a sign you are out of touch with the common man and too in bed with the rich elite?

AH:No

JT:Are you confident that you will win given the current political situation with Together and PD?

AH:Yes, very much so. 

JT:So you are given a free night to do anything , where would you be found?

AH:Right now I would like to enjoy a family BBQ.

JT:So where do you see the country in 6 years if you win? 

AH:Succeeding, just as it has done under my premiership.

JT:How many corporations have brought your campaign and presidency this time around should you win. How do you respond to critics that say you are brought by billionaires and corporations to pass laws that would hurt the working class?

AH:It is not relevant. Why don't you ask the billionaire who is running?

JT:Why don't you answer the question. Which corporations have donated to you and are likely to have influence over you?

AH:The information can be found on our party website. I see you have a lapttop, why don't you look it up.

JT:James has promised to protect the environment over the next 6 years if he wins and alleged you have failed to protect the environment. How do you respond to his claim your government has been a "disaster" for the environment and will you limit use of fossil fuels to stop global warming?

AH:My government will continue any course of action that benefits us economically. The economic future of this country ultimately comes before anything else. I will not pass laws that hurt our economy and thus the working man. 

JT:So you put short term profits in the way of human wellbeing and the environment?

AH:Human wellbeing relies on people having jobs. 

JT:Can you promise if elected you will not team up with the NF again?

AH:We will form a government that meets the needs of the people of this great nation.

JT:If you should lose this election will you promise not to constantly block P.D and Together bills and paralyse the legislative process?

AH:We will always stand up for what we believe is right and vote accordingly.

JT:Thank you for your time Mr President , we have very much enjoyed speaking with you today.

AH:Likewise. 

Messages In This Thread
MPNS - by BrumBrum - 09-26-2018, 11:06 PM
RE: MPNS - by BrumBrum - 10-12-2018, 10:23 PM
RE: MPNS - by Tivona Shneider - 10-17-2018, 11:44 PM
RE: MPNS - by Tivona Shneider - 10-17-2018, 11:51 PM
RE: MPNS - by BrumBrum - 06-30-2019, 01:06 AM