Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Handke Papers: A Wave of Changes
Slovograd, Republic of Mordvania | Elva, 1597

Headquarters of "Slovogradanski zvon"

"What do you think, then?", Demeter Bradek asked. Bradek, editor-in-chief of the "Slovogradanski zvon", the oldest newspaper in Slovograd, was visibly nervous, finishing his glass of whisky without looking away from the woman sitting in front of him.

"It would be such a great story, obviously", Vera Matrusek answered. "But who's behind this? We were not offered this information without a purpose".

"I can't tell you who's our source", Bradek replied. "I don't know exactly who may be behind this, although I have my suspects it would be only a speculation. But it's a trustworthy source, and that it's all that should matter".

"...You know that we have published articles from more doubtful or dark sources, you included", Bradek continued. "Besides that, this could save our newspaper. We could barely finish our payments in the last three months. This without counting that hill of debts we are sitting above..".

"I know, I understand", Vera Matrusek said. "The recordings have so many cuts and jumps...It's obvious that someone wants us to know certain things but ignore others".

"That's obvious", Bradek replied. "It's better to manage this carefully. For the coming weeks, only you and Milan will be working on this. But you won't have that much time, we need to start this before it could backfire".

"Unfortunately", Vera said, "this won't end our problems. Rather we are facing new ones soon. It won't be easy. We can barely make it work day by day after our staff was reduced".

"I know", Bradek replied. "It was not my choice. But in either case, we have no other option right now".
Opoblincani department, Republic of Mordvania | Alvan, 1599

"They have arrived", Svetlana said.

"Very good", Miroslav said. "Give me five minutes". Befor leaving, she helped the old man to prepare and tie his shoes.

"It's good to see you again", Slobodan said. "How are things going?".

"Well, enough", Miroslav coldly replied. "I thought for a while that you were going to come today".

"We lost at least twice", Bogdan said. "It is not easy to find the road, it is certainly hidden...If we needed it, this would be a good place to escape".

"Yes, maybe", Miroslav replied, who seemed to not appreciate the joke from Bogdan, a man young enough to be not just his son but even his grandson.

"Things are going too far already", Slobodan said after a pause for a hot tea. "If they go wrong, this could explode on our own face".

"That's always a chance", Miroslav replied. "You have to be both careful and patient".

"And I'm afraid that more things may explode...", Slobodan continued. "We are entering in a dangerous territory".

"I don't know the details", Miroslav said, "and I'm not interested in them. But you are right, you must know how far you want to go. You don't want to destroy the whole building".

"Have you talked with Dragomir?", Miroslav asked, as Slobodan kept his silence.

"I haven't seen him for a while", Slobodan answered. "He knows what's going on, and he understand that we can not allow them to dismantle our position. It would be not only dangerous for the state and the armed forces to allow so, but for the survival of the nation. But he is in a complicated situation, personally".

"Yes, I understand", Miroslav replied. "I don't know him very well, to be honest. But I know him enough to believe that he understands our duty. I knew better his brother, for a while, when I worked for the ministry. Everyone compares them, I guess, but I feel they couldn't be more different...In the old times, it was kinda similar. I knew what I needed to know, and Bozidor knew what he needed to know. Sometimes more and sometimes less. It was a matter of both trust and boundaries...".

Miroslav's trembling speech was interrupted by the noise of a glass breaking against the floor.

"Are you fine?", Bogdan asked.

"Sorry", Miroslav replied. "My mind sometimes lost the plot as much as the body does...I disgress. What I was saying...?".

"As I was saying", Slobodan said, "we have already gone too far, and I achieved too little. I thought it was going to be easier".

"That's a risk sometimes", Miroslav replied. "You need to know when to stop. But it would be worthless when you are too close to beat your enemy".

"Many would agree", Slobodan said. Before he could say anything else, he was suddenly interrupted by someone repeatedly knocking the door.

"It's getting late...", Svetlana said. "Do you want anything to eat...?".

"No, thank you", Slobodan answered. "We only need to rest a bit. We'll leave soon...We need to return before tomorrow".

"You can prepare the car while I finish this glass of wine...", Slobodan continued, looking at Bogdan. "It's excellent".

"It's quite good", Miroslav replied, who was struggling to stay awake. "But rather too soft for my taste. They have grown that wine for eighty years, in a village nearby Amsberg. Svetlana's mother really loved it...".

"Yes, grandpa", Svetlana said. "It's time to prepare to go to sleep. It's already too late and later you complain that you don't want to stay all the morning sleeping".
Slovograd, Republic of Mordvania | Zechyr, 1599

"There must be a way to solve this", Bronislava said. "There is always a way to save face and stop this situation".

"Bullshit!", Agnieszka replied. "This is already eating our time and efforts. And my nerves too. Why?".

"Has Edgar arrived?", Kazys asked.

"No", Joze answered. "He's still returning from Harmajaa. But Konrad spoke with him".

"We need names. I need names", Agnieszka said. "This is not a game. It is time to do something".

"Well, I thought we had agree that...", Joze tried to say.

"You thought, you thought...", Agnieszka replied. "I know what you thought and what I said. This is different".

"First, we need to stop this", Kazys said. "It's becoming a permanent hemorrhage. We must remain calm and try to stop it for once. There is time, there are months ahead, and we have already done the hardest things in our agenda. The circumstances were not easy but we did it".

"Very good", Agnieszka coldly replied, "congratulations. I even forgot what I had to do this afternoon".

"You are going to visit the Constitutional Court", Bronislava said. "Borodek is going to announce his retirement".

"Great", Agnieszka replied, "there are going to be at least one thousand reporters there. And I thought it was going to be boring. I guess I still have to do it".

"Certainly...", Joze unconvincingly said.

"Well", Kazys said, "we are rather the public, so it's not necessary to say much this time...Mladen has already spoken to the media, so that gives us some time. We can, you and me I mean, meet with Konrad, and think about what we can say for now. It's even better if I talk for now, this evening. Not a detailing response maybe. We don't know if they have more artillery tomorrow...Let's see what happens and you can talk tomorrow if everything is alright".

"Yes, sure", Agnieszka said. "What else could they have...? What do we know".

"I talked with Mia", Joze said. "She hadn't much to tell me this time. Anyway, the details are pretty much unconfirmed so much. That give us some more time".

"Yes, it's better not saying too much", Kazys said. "At least until we can solve this with Edgar personally".

"What a fucking idiot", Agnieszka said.

"Well", Joze said, "if we have finished with this, we may need to discuss this Polbrzych thing".

"What Polbzych?", Agnieszka asked

"The accident nearby Dodzyn...", Joze answered. "It's not a big fuss but we may need to say something".

"Ah", Agnieszka replied. "Well, who cares? Konrad can deal with it for now. I need to talk with Korozek before the next council".

"Yes, sure", Bronislava said.

"Is Maja here?", Kazys asked.

"Now, she is in Snogen", Joze answered. "It's some event at the university. I forgot".

They were suddenly interrupted by the sudden noise of someone knocking the doors.

"Chairman Dalibor Senk has arrived", Bronislava announced a minute later.

"Alright", Agnieszka said. "I believe we have finished. I think that was all for now".

"Ask him if it is something urgent", she told Bronislava. "If that's not the case, make him wait fifteen minutes".