Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A proposed solution for a fair proportionment of UK Parliament seats under MMP
I think I have a solution to fairly apportion parliament seats in the UK. Use MMP and have 400 local MP seats then give each nation 50 list MP seats apportioned by PR. So the list of seats per capita goes like this 1: NI 2:Wales 3:Scotland 4:England. The seats would look like this for totals: England:387(64.5%) Scotland:83(13.83%) Wales:69(11.5%) NI:61(10.16%) . This is against percent of population as follows England:64.5% Scotland:8.3% Wales: 4.8% NI:2.8%. Currently the MPs by country are: England:533(82%) Scotland:59(9.83%) Wales:40(6.6%) NI:18(3%).This would mean no nation including NI could ever be ignored and England's unfair population advantage would be destroyed in terms of power. Additionally we could even allow either an oath to the queen and the people or the people so MPs don't have to swear an oath to the queen so republicans who feel they can't swear an oath to the monarchy can run( if I ever theoretically ran I would swear an oath to the monarchy).I think this is a fair solution , what do others think? We could also apportion the percentage of seats in the Lord's like this too.
Vote in Voice of Goldecia. You decide!
As I have told you before, as a Scot, part of me likes the idea of Scotland and the other constituent nations of the united Kingdom being granted more representation in the House of Commons. It is true that in the UK's current form, the only constituent nation with any sort of power is England. If every MP elected in the other constituent nations voted for one thing and a majority of English MPs voted for another, the English MPs would ultimately be victorious. It is thus no wonder so many individuals, from Scotland to Northern Ireland, long for independence and freedom from a system that ensures they will always be bound by whatever England and the English decide.

However, at the same time, I see this system being extremely unpopular in England and in fact furthering the divide that already exists between our peoples. Many in England already feel like they give too much to the rest of the union and so I can only imagine how such people would feel if the above was implemented. It would inevitably result in an increased amount of resentment south of the border and I don't think that is good for the union, England or Scotland. As evidenced by the Brexit vote and the rhetoric surrounding it, many in England feel they have a right to rule over others but how very dare anyone try to rule over them (How dare EU law interfere in England, but it's perfectly fine for England to dictate to the rest of the UK).

As for your suggestion regarding swearing an oath of allegiance to the people, as opposed to solely the monarch, I would absolutely be in favour of this. Personally, I am a republican (although I fairly like the current queen and thus would not advocate for an end to the monarchy until after she dies), and so if I ever entered parliament I would not feel comfortable swearing allegiance to a monarch I do not believe in. So, yes, Brum, I think that is a great idea.