Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Act I: Our Slumber is Over
Maki raised an eyebrow. What was she getting at? "Well," she said cautiously, "I felt it was certainly time for our countries to set behind their uneasy history and do what's best for the future. A Chikasu and Kazemura that get along and work closely together are much stronger than each one separately. Unfortunately, Chikasu has disagreed with this assertion. It is regrettable that I lack the weight the change their mind." Or did they disagree with the person making it? It could be argued that it was Maki's unpopularity and suspected corruption that made Chikasuns view her trade agreement with equal suspicion.
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire
Holy Emperor: Feryn I
Prime Minister: Klaus Lofgren
The Holy Lanlanian Empire is a multi-ethnic state based in western Brigidna with territories all across the globe. It is a relic of an older age, an absolute monarchy hidden under a functioning democracy. The empire has historically been the world's leading power, though has long been in decline and was recently overtaken by the Republic of Nyland. Nonetheless, the empire is not an opponent to take lightly.

Ishnalli Empire
Empress: Lanryu-il
Chancellor: IDEK
The greatest country in the world. It's YUUUUGGGEEEE.
As the President responded, Ueno listened to the caution in her voice. It seemed that there was a small opening to persuade her towards anything to change the tide of the inevitable storm. She nodded as Maki finished responding. Such a chance to change the course of the future, lost because of shortsightedness. But there was still an opportunity...

"Indeed Your Excellency," She responded calmly. "Kazemura and her people have appreciated all the work you put forward though. We will continue to work towards lasting peace between our nations, but if there is ever anything we could do to repay the work you've done to ensure this conversation could happen, you only need to ask." She fell silent and waited to see what the President would say. Hopefully, it's enough to nudge her forward... and if not, well, she was doomed anyways.
The President nodded cautiously. "I understand, I will be sure to reach you should there be such a thing." She felt something was going over here head, but she wasn't about to ask about it. Instead, she simply sighed and again reached for her. "Well," she continued, holding the cup's handle, "I believe it's getting late. It would be inconvenient for both of us if you were caught here during this controversial time, so I must ask you to return. Perhaps we'll speak in a few days."

Date: 1 Tolven, 1587
Time: 2:45 AM
Nonsan, Autonomous Shimazu State, Chikasu

The atmosphere in Shimazu was little better than the Chikasun National Senate's. Though Shimazu was moderately pro-Kazemuran, the inclusive democratic institutions of Chikasu made the majority of Shimazu view it as their own country. Only those on the fringe expressed any significant interest in reunification with the Kazemuran nation. Of course, that hadn't always been the case. Shimazu had received its autonomous status in the 20s as a concession to prevent the state from seeking full-blown secession. However, its demographics had changed significantly since then and an influx of Chikasuns in the 50s lowered the risk of clear-cut Shimazu secession.

Still, the ethnic Kazemuran majority and the delicate nature of the relationship ensured the Chikasuan Parliament considered the Shimazu opinion when Kazemura was concerned. But that was all it was: an opinion. While Shimazu was self-governing, it did not have the power to conduct its own foreign affairs beyond business ventures. That made an emergency session of the Shimazu Council all the more curious. And the Chikasun media would have a field day when it came to light it was by Kazemuran insistence.

"Well, Mr. Daichi Akiyama," said Izumi Tanaka, Chairman of the Council of the Autonomous Shimazu State, "you have the floor." He glanced at the Kazemuran consul, sat next to him in the center of the Shimazu Council meeting chamber. Despite being only 42 members large, the meeting had began late—the chairman had only now finished his opening statements. No one had expected to be called into an emergency session so deep in the night.
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire
The Holy Lanlanian Empire is a multi-ethnic state based in western Brigidna with territories all across the globe. It is a relic of an older age, an absolute monarchy hidden under a functioning democracy. The empire has historically been the world's leading power, though has long been in decline and was recently overtaken by the Republic of Nyland. Nonetheless, the empire is not an opponent to take lightly.

Ishnalli Empire
Nonsan, Autonomous Shimazu State, Chikasu

Consul Daichi Akiyama was not having a great evening at all. He hadn't actually expected to speak in front of the Shimazun Council at 3 in the morning. In fact, he was supposed to be in his nice warm bed right now, just down the street from the consulate in Nonsan.

Of course, that was not to be the case tonight. First the protests throughout the city woke him up and forced him to prepare for a long day at the consulate. However, those plans changed when he was summoned by the Shimazun Council to speak in front of them. Apparently, some of the ethnic Kazemurans in the Council had desired to hold a debate and vote on the trade agreements before the Chikasun Senate could finish their discussions and vote on it.

"Okay, but why at 2:30 in the fuckin' morning?" He had snarled at his Deputy Consul.

"Because," She responded, "The Chikasun Senate got called to order at two in the fuckin' morning." That caught his attention and got him into high gear. Despite the rather obnoxious hour, he had been able to put himself together rather nicely and had worked with his Deputy Consul on a nice speech about the importance of the trade agreements and ensuring taking greater steps towards regional cooperation and all those other lovely things that he was ordered to follow up with. Yes, he agreed with those ideals but he liked to do so AFTER TWO THIRTY IN THE FUCKING MORNING!

"Thank you Chairman," He stated with a warm smile before stepping forward to the podium. He cleared his throat and began to speak to the Council's 40 some-odd members, following the prompts in the speech.

To the side, Deputy Consul Haruna Mizushima watched with a tired smile. It had been quite a bit of work but they had been able to pull everything together nicely with this speech and with the rap sheet in front of them. The speech should solidify the yes vote from the Shimazu Council that many were anticipating. Their affirmation would hopefully sway the Chikasun Senate to also vote yes, clearing the way to an end to this chaos.

As Consul Akiyama finished his speech, she gave him a thumbs up and a smile. They did exactly what they needed to do. Now it was just a waiting game.
And the Shimazu Councilors responded with a standing ovation, as the Consul's speech penetrated them to the soul and spoke straight to its heart. Never before and never again would such an awesome, resonating argument for globalization and regional integrity echo in the halls of the Shimazu Council Building--perhaps nowhere in Chikasu. As the cheering and and clapping slowed, Chairman Tanaka said, "Councilors, that was Mr. Daichi Akiya--" It was a mistake to mention his name, as it again spurred the Council into a frenzy.

It was a shame such a powerful speech was wasted on the choir and would never reach a wider audience due to the closed-door nature of the session.

Date: 1 Tolven 1587
Time: 8:10 A.M.

Taichi Kamiya was an active youth in his second year of high school. In a band and an avid football player, he rarely made it home before dusk. Yesterday, however, the schoolteachers had urged everyone home due to the forming protests. The anxious tone of the teachers' texts had made him curious and Taichi had spent yesterday reading about the protests and the treaty behind it. Even now, over an omurice and strawberry milk, he was reading the latest news on his smartphone: "Shimazu Council urges the Senate to pass the trade agreement."

"What's wrong?" asked his father, Susumu, who noticed the raised brows on his son's face. And the almost untouched omurice.

"Ah," Taichi replied, "this trade thing." He passed his phone across the table to his father. "It's crazy how people are getting so excited about it."

"Mm," his father hummed as he took the device and scanned the article. "My coworkers are talking about it too. I think a few of them joined the protests too."

Taichi nodded. "It's only a trade agreement though, why are they getting so worked up?"

Susumu chuckled and passed the phone back. "Good question." Susumu was ethnically Kazemuran, though his wife was Chikasun. They'd met during the influx of Chikasuns into Shimazu in the 50s and grew up together ever since. "It could be based on patriotic sentiments," he continued, after taking another spoonful of his own omurice. "A lot of Chikasuns are afraid of Kazemura's economic power, while a lot of the older Shimazu still want Shimazu to secede from Chikasu and join Kazemura. Eat your food."

With another nod, Taichi finally touched his breakfast. "Is it true that the agreement favors Kazemura?" he asked before a spoonful.

"I haven't read it," Susumu answered, shrugging. "They say it does, and I could definitely believe it. There's a lot of Kazemruan businesses operating in Shimazu, and that may be why the Council favors the treaty. Have you heard that the Senate dismissed the subject in an special session this morning?"

Taichi shook his head.

"That'll be very bad for the President. They suspect that the special session was at her urging, and now that it's failed...there'll likely be a backlash. She's already on thin ice, and trying to shove an unpopular agreement through an extraordinary session will really turn the public against her. It will be a long week."
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire

Ishnalli Empire
Date: 1 Tolven, 1587
Time: 9:05 AM

"As such, Her Imperial Grace will visit the shrine to pray for those affected by the fires tomorrow evening. The National Council will be considering a measure regarding tariffs at this evening's session..."

"Hmph," Mirai mumbled as she folded her arms. "I'm not fond of your Press Secretary. He seems a bit too green to be handling a matter like this." She yelped as Hiraku pressed down firmly on her shoulders and spun around, glaring down his bitter smirk.

"My apologies Your Imperial Grace," He taunted playfully. She harrumphed and turned back again to watch the television, relaxing into his delicate fingers. "He may seem new at this but I assure you, Secretary Tachibana is more than capable at fielding their questions."

"If you say so," She grumbled. They sat in silence as the television played in the Imperial Chambers. On screen, Secretary Tachibana wrapped up his announcements and announced he would take questions. Almost instantly, the question both Mirai and Hiraku were expecting was out the gate.

"Is the Kazemuran government concerned that the ongoing talks with Chikasu will collapse due to the failure of the vote held earlier this morning at the behest of the Chikasun Senate's President pro tempore?" Hiraku's hands stopped for a moment as they both listened to the Secretary clear his throat.

"Our embassy has been informed that a vote is still scheduled for later in the week in regular session," Secretary Tachibana answered calmly. "We will wait until the vote on the trade agreements has been concluded before making any statements. Next question." Mirai breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed into Hiraku, a weight having lifted some. Although there were other questions being fielded regarding the ongoing crisis in Chikasu, Secretary Tachibana did seem up to the task of handling them.

"I've no idea why you doubted me Mirai," Hiraku said with a smirk. She turned to face him and bit her lower lip.

"We're at a critical point. We can not appear careless nor can we appear to be pushing things along yet. I just, a new Press Secretary at this stage? What happened to the other one?" Hiraku leaned back on the bed and thought for a moment, before lighting up.

"Ah right. She resigned. She wanted to spend more time with family... father on the deathbed."

"Oh, shameful," Mirai replied with sincere sadness. "Remind me to send her flowers... after the trade agreements fail in the Chikasun Senate I mean." Hiraku nodded and Mirai smirked as Secretary Tachibana concluded the press briefing without any major incidents. Everything seemed to still be on track, thanks to Consul Akiyama's work with the Shimazun Council. Soon, they'd have the fervent outrage of the Shimazun people to fan the flames of. A few well placed operatives, a bit of dirty play with the press... the Shimazu State would become a chaotic mess soon after and Kazemura would have to step in to "assist" them.

"By the way, I believe Consul Akiyama needs a promotion should things go south with the trade agreements, no?" Mirai asked Hiraku with a mischievous grin.

"Yes yes... I think that would indeed be well deserved by the good Consul," Hiraku responded with a chuckle.
Date: 1 Tolven 1587
Time: 10:30 AM

"This isn't a surprise," Yamamoto mumbled, reading the Sunday paper. A product of the times before smartphones and widespread computers, Yamamoto preferred a physical copy of the news and one of his aids ran out every morning to buy one. Yamamoto would usually read it by 8 AM, often over a cup of his wife's coffee, and be leaving the residence by 9. The sudden special session had thrown off his schedule, however, and here he was--running late and even fewer hours of sleep. A part of him hoped the President was also losing sleep over her stunts, while another knew it for a fact.

Yamamoto scowled. While it was inconvenient that Shimazu announced its support of the trade agreement, it was infuriating that the Kazemurans would dare to engage in such overt and shameless lobbying. Did they have no respect for the democratic institutions of Chikasu? No, of course they didn't. "Unbelievable," he fumed, shaking lightly. "Their new government seems to have no respect for our democracy."

It was to be expected that the consul's speech would be leaked--even if the full text of it wasn't. Though the special session was kept low-key and no reporters made it in time to stake out arrivals, not all members of the Council or their staff may have agreed it appropriate for a Kazemuran official to make an appearance, much less have the floor. Of course there was a leak. "How can the Council allow such blatant foreign lobbying."

With a shake of his head, he reached for the tablet at the corner of the table and played would it. Surely there were papers calling the Kazemurans out for their gross violation of Shimazu's democratic processes? Indeed. Yamamoto chuckled, reviewing the articles presented to him. Hopefully, Kazemura's blatant interference would turn public opinion against them, however little.

"Yuuki, your coffee's getting cold."

"Ah, right," Yamamoto set the tablet down and reached out for his coffee. His eyes wandered to his wife, just a corner away. "Thank you, Kiko."

The elderly woman, a few years his senior, returned a sweet smile.

It still warmed Yamamoto's heart, even after all these years. Much more than her coffee, that was nonetheless a fair second. "I love you, Kiko," he said, this time extending his hand to take hers.
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire

Ishnalli Empire
Time: 2:30 PM, Daily Scheduled Press Briefing

"The Shimazu Council had invited our consul to speak firsthand at the special session," Press Secretary Tachibana replied to the reporter. "Our consul graciously accepted their kind invitation and spoke as requested."

"Can you elaborate on what the Consul said?" The reporter pressed, clearly irritated with his stonewalling. He closed his eyes and exhaled slowly.

"It was an executive session of the Shimazu Council. We do not publicize such matters without the explicit permission of both the Shimazu Council and the Chikasun government." He almost added on a joke but halted himself just in time. Now was not a good day for such jokes. Most days he'd be a bit more friendly with the press but today... it was not that kind of day.

The moment he heard the news this morning he knew what kind of mess he was in for. And the moment he walked into the room today and saw their serious faces, he knew this was not going to be a softball day. No, they were out for the story... they smelled blood and they're barking to him now. Not an inch, Tachibana thought grimly. Not a damn inch today. He had already held them off fairly well this morning; he'd do it a second time now that more information was out in the public's eye.

"I am taking no more questions about this matter. We are waiting for their discussions on the trade agreements to conclude before making any further public comment. Any other questions on anything else?" He gave a grave look around the room and the reporters seemed to stop fidgeting. It looked like everyone was dying down, albeit frustrated. Good, no story today-

"What of the rumors regarding a possible relationship between Her Imperial Grace and Chairman Honda?" He bit his lower lip. Not this again... must be the Sun. Utter tabloid garbage. He turned his head to fire back an answer and froze as he met his challenger's eyes.

It wasn't the reporter from the Sun. It was Aina Miyamoto, From the Tokasa Times. Shit. If she's asking that question then that meant... there was a great deal of merit to this. Not only that, he had no idea what she was on about which meant she had someone on the inside.

"I have not been informed of anything on this matter nor should I be. The personal affairs of Her Imperial Grace are not exactly matters of national policy," He chuckled and the room reverberated the chuckle, giving him a bit of relief. "That's all for today folks. As a reminder tomorrow's press briefing will be one hour later than usual. Thanks." He departed the podium and beelined for the door, but was stopped by an aide with paperwork. He quickly sorted it out and tried to make for the door again...

Too late though. Aina was there already, blocking his main exit. He scowled; she smirked. They stared at each other for a long moment before he shut his eyes and scratched the back of his head. She nodded with a satisfied look and stepped to the side, letting him exit the room.

"I swear," Tachibana replied with an irritated look, "I know jack shit about this. He doesn't invite me to National Council meetings, especially executive session ones." He drummed his fingers obnoxiously against his chair's arm to show his impatience with her line of questioning. Miyamoto merely sipped her tea before setting down the cup on the table in his office.

"Surely you must know something about this," Miyamoto responded calmly. "Akio, you understand how close I am on this, right? This is a story I've followed for quite a damn while and I've just about got all my ducks in a row."

"It's a fairy tale Aina. It's just the usual garbage tabloid story being peddled by the Sun." Miyamoto closed her eyes and placed her notepad on the desk. Tachibana looked down and raised an eyebrow, nervously asking, "What's this?"

"All the notes I've taken on this story alone over the past few months," She answered, opening her eyes. "Look at them." He slowly picked it up and started to flip through the pages. It was fairly detailed notes which seemed to start placing the dots together fairly well. He felt like he was being further stunned with each page he read. These details were comprehensive. There was even details on things he never knew about, like how they went to the same school or even how their families were so close that the Hondas were invited over to the Imperial Palace for the holidays when they were but children!

"It's a comprehensive story... and a sweet one, don't you think?" Tachibana looked up at Miyamoto as she spoke, a whimsical yet calculating look in her eyes. "Old childhood friends turned powerful lovers. The position of the Imperial Throne and the position of the Chair of the National Council. Their most trusted advisers... and their most powerful weapons..." She trailed off and gave a simple smile to him. He sat there in disbelief. Here she was, presenting a wild accusation that seemed to rear its ugly head out of random. However, there have been whispers. Talks late into the night in the Imperial Chambers for advisory matters were nothing new, but the frequency at which they were being held was suspicious. He hated to admit but... Miyamoto had him curious now. Were they just childhood friends and nothing more? Not likely. No, something was up.

"What do you want from me?" Tachibana asked, relaxing a bit. Miyamoto smiled and folded her hands together before giving her reply.

Time: 4:30 PM

"Something is on your mind." Hiraku looked up from his book, straight into Mirai's eyes. She had a concerned look on her face as she knelt on the bed in front of him. Biting his lower lip, he closed his book and sat up under the covers. She wasn't wrong. Hiraku definitely had something on his mind; he hadn't planned on discussing it yet though.

"I, don't know if I'm ready to talk about it." Mirai gave him a look and shook her head. As she opened her mouth to respond, he cut her off and added, "I know I know. We don't hide anything from each other. I just..." He trailed off and looked down at his book.

"You just what?" Mirai asked, placing a hand on his. "You know I won't be upset if you explain. So long as you aren't backtracking on our plan it's com... pletely... fucking Hell that's it isn't it." She went from sympathetic to alarmed as the look on his face said it all.

"Just listen-"

"Hiraku-"

"Just, wait!" He cried out, looking up at her. She bared her teeth to him and gave him a darkened expression. He flinched for a moment, but took a deep breath and glared straight back. They stared for what felt like an eternity to Hiraku; standing up to her always felt like the greatest ordeal ever faced.

Eventually Mirai looked up at the ceiling and sighed. She was never a fan at staring him down; standing up to him always felt like her soul was going to be torn to shreds under his gaze. Fuck it, she thought. Let's see what's going on.

"What is it?" She eventually said, exhausted from the ordeal. He relaxed a bit and laid back against the headboard, closing his eyes.

"We're leading them to conflict. We're about to escalate this to a new wave of tensions and it's likely we're going to war."

"Yes. That was the plan-"

"We're leading them to their graves." Mirai fell silent and bit her lower lip. Damn it. So he was having the same doubts she was.

"We're making a brighter future," She replied, trying to subdue his internal rebellion as well as her own. "And that requires sacrifice. We as a nation hold to the ideals of returning to peace. To Heiwa. A united nation of peace and prosperity, just as our ancestors had. We have to be prepared to sacrifice our lives for this."

"It is easy for us to say this from the safety of the palace," Hiraku noted with unease. "And I know what you've said to me. If you could fight you would. But for us to send people just a few years our junior to fight in this war we're brewing in such a fashion, it feels wrong. Hundreds of thousands will be lost not just by Kazemura but by Shimazu and Chikasu as well."

"We have to be prepared to sacrifice blood for this. You said this long ago, did you not?"

"I did but... now, I wonder... what if we tried a different approach?" Mirai looked back down at him and gave him a befuddled look. She waved her hand to continue with his thought process and he took a deep breath before obliging. "What if we tried being honest? What if we made it clear what we've been looking for?"

"Because-" Mirai stopped mid-sentence and thought for a moment. That was actually a good question. While yes there wasn't a guarantee they would just be able to get the three governments to agree, there was still a rather popular sentiment to consider the question of reunification on equal terms. In the long run, that was more than satisfying for the both of them; it was actually their ultimate goal to erase the lines of the past century and reforge a united national identity after all. And sooner or later people would find out about their true intentions because eventually they'd have to state them anyways. So, why not sooner? Why not give the concept a shot and possibly avoid so much death and despair?

"How would we do this?" Mirai asked finally. Hiraku raised an eyebrow and gave a relieved smile before beginning to answer.

"Before anything else we need to see who will be in charge in Chikasu by the end of this week," Hiraku began calmly. "After that, all the other pieces will come clear."
Date: 2 Tolven, 1587
Time: 9:30 AM
Room: Imperial Study

Scribble scribble scribble went the pen. Hiraku watches silently, sipping his tea, as Mirai scribbles across the printout. Draft four of the aptly named Red Paper has less red markings on it than the others. Internally, he breathes a sigh of relief. This was a long, arduous process but it seems that his prep work paid off.

"I like it," Mirai mumbles as she places down the paper. "It definitely sounds a lot more like something I'd officially say." She gives Hiraku a small smile and leans back in her chair. Hiraku picks up the paper and review over the edits he'd have to make. Overall, not too many; one last draft should do it.

"Right. Where are we on everything?" He looks up at her, slightly confused. He sheepishly shrugs and she glowers at him. "I thought I told you to keep up with this!"

"I was going to," He deflected, "but the Hyper Rail Bill got snagged by... well, take a damn guess." Mirai sighs and rubs her forehead. She didn't need to guess; it was clearly the Friday Group's doing. Damn deficit hawks; always getting in the way of big ticket projects. She mutters incoherently and drums her fingers, giving Hiraku that particular look she uses when his input is requested.

Hiraku obliged readily, saying, "I have the votes together in the National Council. We just need the House to get its shit together. Can we give the Speaker's office a ring?" Mirai begins to answer, but pauses as he holds up a finger to express second thoughts. "Actually, we may need to keep our capital for this Imperial Decree. Even if it plays well with the country it certainly will roil the People's Vote Caucus."

"You also might lose the votes for the Hyper Rail Bill in the National Council then," Mirai adds with a sigh. "Well, we can always revisit it later on. While I'd love to push the project forward... actually." She smirks as she taps her fingers on the Red Paper. "Thinking about it, we can play this as tossing a bone to the PVC. Play them and the Friday Group against each other and their outrage will end up canceling out." Hiraku nods in agreement and gives a grin. They talk for a few more minutes about the minutiae before putting the Red Paper away for the time being. Mirai rings a bell; a few seconds later, an assistant comes in with the Morning Report. They take it, dismiss the assistant, and begin to read what's going on today...
The violence in Shimazu have largely been brought under control by the Shimazu Regional Police Bureau. The Police Bureau has warned Shimzuns that it has found evidence that the violence may have been artificially incited over social media and advised caution.

The Chikasun House of Representatives has passed articles of impeachment against Kazue Maki, President of the Chikasun Republic, on multiple counts of corruption, obstruction of justice, perjury, and abuse of office. The articles are believed to be an immediate retaliation against Maki's effort to pass the Chikasun-Kazemuran trade agreement in a late-night special session of the Senate. However, they have likely been brewing since documents revealed in early 1587 connected the President to various business and court scandals of 1586 and sparked an investigation into her business ties and dealings with various judges appointed during her administration.

Representatives of the Shimazu Council have been summoned before the Chikasu National Senate to answer questions regarding allegations that a member of the Kazemuran Diplomatic Corps was present in a special session of the Council and attempted to influence their decision regarding the Chikasun-Kazemuran trade agreement. While the presence of a foreign speaker is not against any Chikasun laws or legislative procedures, it will undoubtedly be frowned upon and viewed as Kazemuran tampering in Shimazun and Chikasun democratic processes due to the intense atmosphere around the trade agreement.

The trade agreement is nonetheless expected to be voted on by the Chikasun National Senate on the 3rd. No Senators have publicly changed their intended vote in response to recent events, though we estimate enough Senators are currently undecided that the treaty has a 40% chance of passing.

((OOC: I'll let your scene react to these updates and then post something in Chikasu. /shamelessness))
Role Play States

Holy Lanlanian Empire

Ishnalli Empire