Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OOC for Nyland
Okay, so I've been mulling over a couple things while bored at work, and want some input. These are the topics of state governance/politics, and how the balls Nyland's supreme court would actually work in a not-purely-IC sense.

Thing #1 - State Governance & Politics

The vast majority of what happens in the nation happens at the state/local levels, and yet we have very few mechanisms outside "make it up and maybe ask me" to have some basis for writing about such things. How do we go about making local politics a thing so people can write about such things, without getting stupidly bogged down in particulars and systems, and so people don't feel that only the president or those "controlling" political parties can do anything?

I've been thinking of doing a bare-bones "simulation" determining outcomes & political environments/feelings for the states (directly related to each of the 535 federal constituencies, if I ever get about to mapping them) at each election; I want to keep it simple, because lolwork. How often should this happen, how should it happen, etc?

As it stands, I'm thinking of running the state numbers re: this every 4 years in the presidential "off-season" (more often would be nice), and simply determine results based upon national showings until I get around to drafting/detailing the 535 constituencies.

Also, what even would "owning" a state mean for writing & roleplaying? I don't want people to feel locked out of writing about something for Nyland just because they aren't president or an "owner" of a party (which wouldn't be the case).

Things #2 - The Supreme Court

My being dickish in the legislature last term blocking Hadash's proposal (as well as real life events this last year) did get me thinking as to how the Supreme Court would or should be practically managed; obviously me just handing out decisions on things is lame. People writing about court cases on their own would be fine, but not so much for the Supreme Court, whose decisions hold major weight upon the direction of the country...which is normally something I'd give reign for El Presidente to do, but that seems kind of conflicting...

I had an Idea, but it's shit because I don't want to bog down Nyland with complex systems and crap, but it's the only way I can think to have some kind of believable "simulation" of the court while having some kind of RP to it:

1) The person who is president when a vacancy opens in the court "appoints" a justice, and determines how that justice weighs in on cases (kinda character RP-y).
2) Justices are appointed by the president by filling out what basically amounts to a character application/sheet, which would then be confirmed by the Assembly (as per the unwritten Constitution) as a candidate for the open position; submitting an application is meant to bind the president person to acting within the bounds of the explained character traits & personality instead of bullshitting too much. Basically.
3) Anyone would be able to have a case go before the court (somehow?), but only after the issue to be discussed in the case has had sufficient roleplaying done in news or other thread, to show that the thing is an actual issue and whatnot. Yeah, writing!

That's basically it, just some bare-bones crap I'm scraping off the top of my head.

Thoughts appreciated. I don't want too much red tape and whatnot, but I feel these are actual details that should be done.

Messages In This Thread
OOC for Nyland - by Seperallis - 09-14-2016, 10:52 PM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Seperallis - 09-18-2016, 11:12 PM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Flo - 09-19-2016, 12:29 AM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Seperallis - 10-13-2016, 02:04 AM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Seperallis - 11-01-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Blacaria - 11-01-2016, 04:50 PM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Flo - 11-04-2016, 03:30 PM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Arkiania - 11-04-2016, 09:45 PM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Seperallis - 11-05-2016, 03:21 AM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Seperallis - 01-16-2017, 05:53 PM
RE: OOC for Nyland - by Flo - 01-16-2017, 08:22 PM