Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Act I: Our Slumber is Over
Ueno listened carefully as Maki talked about the current standing of the trade agreements. As Maki mentioned that pursuing the agreements any further would not bear fruit, Ueno frowned, hiding it through a sip of her tea. That's not good at all, she thought, before placing the tea cup down on the table again.

Ueno knew that her ambassadorship and even her very career was on the line at the moment. At the beginning of the year, she had been on the rise, a superstar in the diplomatic corps. She had steeled her way through comprehensive negotiations with quite a few nations and the Chikasun government agreeing to discuss trade agreements was a major coup for her. Empress Aoi (May she find peace with Muze, she mused) had given her full control over these negotiations and had hinted at her being considered to head the Foreign Ministry itself within a year or so.

Six months ago however, Empress Aoi passed away and Her Imperial Grace took the throne. The new Empress had expressed skepticism of the talks in private and the Chikasun government had expressed skepticism of working with the Kazemuran government after such a turnover. The Empress' decision to run military exercises and announce a refitting of the military's weapons hadn't helped matters either; the Kazemuran government noted that the exercises was due to Ramzan's aggressive stance in the West but the Chikasun government was still skeptical.

Ueno begged and pleaded with the Empress to agree to conclude the talks and finally got her to agree. She had staked her reputation and the future of her career on this on the very outcome of this; if she failed she would have no future in government, possibly anywhere.

As Ueno started to consider the best way to get herself out of this mess, Maki talked about the current situation. Ueno listened quietly, already preparing her death bed when Maki mentioned the old guard being in support of her still. She fell silent at that point, leaving Ueno to mull everything over.

She was right; the pieces were not in their favor. Maki was likely to end up in prison. Ueno was likely to have her career ruined. And relations between the two nations were going to just keep deteriorating, culminating in a bitter war down the road. That was not the way towards reunification, Ueno thought bitterly. She was a unionist, but a pragmatic one. She favored the rise of a supranational organization to bring the Heiwanan people back under one flag rather than the brutality of war. But clearly, the Chikasun government did not agree. They'd rather keep the archipelago weak and divided.

Maki was pragmatic though. She saw the need to come together in defense of one another. Sure she was shady but she understood that for the archipelago to survive foreign influences, they had to work together in some fashion. She clearly saw the bigger picture... right?

"I see," Ueno replied, picking up her tea cup. "So it's just the old guard that supports you readily now." She sipped her tea to hide her hesitation. What she was going to consider was nothing short of treachery. However, her political career was on the line now... and so was the life of another.

"It seems that you are considering calling it quits. I am incorrect in that assumption?"

Messages In This Thread
Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Alvino Castillon - 11-12-2017, 09:22 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-15-2017, 12:53 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-20-2017, 02:21 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Alvino Castillon - 11-20-2017, 11:58 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-22-2017, 09:49 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-22-2017, 10:31 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-29-2017, 01:28 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 12-06-2017, 02:26 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 12-16-2017, 12:59 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 10-13-2018, 05:24 PM