Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Act I: Our Slumber is Over
One Hour Later at the Orchyoto

Hushed whispers filled the Chamber of the National Council as many of its members spoke about the unfolding events. Some of its older members were already in their seats, stern-faced and prepared to fight for their points. A few older and younger members loitered near a continental breakfast table, grabbing coffee or tea to fuel themselves. The rest had largely paired off, discussing the matters of the day that have forced them to gather on a Sunday of all days.

At once, they all fell silent as an aide rushed in to flag them of the approach of the Empress. The members not already sitting rushed back to their seats, not desiring a repeat scolding from two weeks ago. The eldest members chuckled, amused at their demeanor.

At once, it all fell silent again as the doors swung open. Any signs of amusement were gone. Now was the time for action.

"Is the dossier ready?" Mirai Sekai asked the attendant, walking into the Chamber of the National Council. Behind her, Chairman Hiraku Honda of the National Council followed, hiding his glee behind a stern look. At once, the members of the National Council rose, bowing towards the Empress. She nodded and gracefully took the papers for the attendant, watching as they bowed out towards the edge of the room. She approached the circular table and walked around it, eyeing the members of the National Council for any... issues.

There were none to be found this time. She hid her relief and climbed to sit at the top of an elevated platform, overseeing the affairs below. Beneath her, Chairman Honda climbed up and stood at the podium.

"6:28 AM," He announced. "This Special Meeting of the National Council is called to order. You may be seated." As the members of the National Council sat down in their seats, he cleared his throat. "Thank you all for being here on short notice today. We are now in executive session and we will be suspending the rules. Please listen closely. Secretary of the Council, you are to read the summary."

"Yes Chairman Honda," Secretary Ayana Ito responded, her voice quivering slightly. She cleared her throat and began to read.

"At 12:00 AM local time in the Chikasun capitol of Eno, a large group protesters streamed out into the streets in opposition to the bilateral talks and trade agreements produced between the Chikasun Republic and the Imperial Republic of Kazemura. Their numbers are unverified but it is likely that they are in the thousands as reports of traffic jam and closed streets have dominated local news and posts on social media, especially Pipper. These protests were known to be in planning for some time now; however estimates produced by our advisers and by our counterparts in Eno about the scale seem to be wildly off base. There are reports of smaller protests in Eno in favor of the bilateral agreements. The protests have reached our embassy in Eno; our ambassador is unfortunately trapped within." Out of the corner of his eye, Hiraku noticed an older Councilman grumble and sit up, preparing to ask a question.

"Is there a possibility of-"

"The Chair reminds the body to hold all questions until the end of the report," Hiraku interrupted, glancing at no one in particular. A grumble responded to his request, before the Councilman settled back into his seat. "Please continue Secretary Ito."

"Of course Chairman Honda. We have been informed by the Chikasun government that they will be able to extradite the ambassador and the staff if needed. Although there have been reports on social media of small skirmishes, they are currently unverified. The Eno Police Department has informed local media that it has been largely nonviolent thus far." That did not seem to relieve anyone in the room as they were all very aware of how things like this worked. It was all well and fine...

"However, protests that have erupted in Nonsan, the capitol of the Autonomous Shimazu State, have been more violent according to local news outlets and posts on social media. These reports have been verified by the local police department."

...Until the other shoe dropped.

"Our consulate in Nonsan has been recently surrounded by protests favoring and opposing the bilateral agreements. It appears that the protesters that took to the streets of Nonsan and other major cities in the Shimazu State have been more balanced. While a notably higher percentage of Kazemurans in the Shimazu State seemed to lean more favorably towards the passage of the agreements, it does not seem to be devolving into a cultural tension as of yet. This seems to be merely political.

"At approximately 2:00 AM local time, an emergency session of Senate in the Chikasun Republic was called to order as was an emergency Council session in the Shimazu State. The Senate seems to be furiously debating the bilateral agreements at this time. President Kazue Maki of the Chikasun Republic has repeatedly expressed her intent to push forward on the passage of the bilateral agreements. Our ambassador is planning to make an appearance to lobby the Senators on the fence at this time. Our consul in Nonsan is also planning an appearance at the Shimazun Council; however we expect that they are still largely in support of the bilateral agreements. This concludes the report."

"Thank you Secretary Ito," Chairman Honda stated, adjusting his glasses. "As rules are suspended, members are free to speak openly. However, let's keep this civil and give everyone a chance to speak." He stepped back and flipped off his microphone as the debate began among the members of the National Council, debating over the best course of action.

However, it is all largely out of their hands, Chairman Honda thought with amusement. A great bit of wheeling and dealing has helped push along the course of debate already. The Empress had already decided the course of action to take a whole two months ago, arguably longer. He had already informed his key allies in the National Council of the thoughts of the Empress hours before and they in turn have sought to push those thoughts into proper action... for a favor or two.

Vultures, he thought to himself. No matter. Once this was all said and done, he and Mirai would stand alone at the top. Both of them knew the outcome that these events would take and the official stance the government would end up taking long before this debate began. Kazemura would stress the importance of these agreements. Then, Kazemura would applaud the Shimazu State for its continued efforts to "bring lasting peace to the region" and condemn the Chikasun Republic for its "unwillingness to resolve century-old matters of dispute" or something like that, threatening to cut off the trade it currently has with them. A little bit of pressure on the President of Chikasu, a little escalation of the protests here and there, and everything will be set for the cards to fall.

And then, the century-long slumber will be finally over.

Messages In This Thread
Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Alvino Castillon - 11-12-2017, 09:22 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Alvino Castillon - 11-12-2017, 10:42 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-15-2017, 12:53 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-20-2017, 02:21 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-22-2017, 09:49 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-22-2017, 10:31 PM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 11-29-2017, 01:28 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 12-06-2017, 02:26 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 12-16-2017, 12:59 AM
RE: Act I: Our Slumber is Over - by Ayzek - 10-13-2018, 05:24 PM