Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazaghean Woes
The Kubanizan listened gravely as Sovinov recounted the recent events in Mazaghea. “The situation is even worse than I had imagined,” he said at last. “I had heard, of course, about the changes in government, but I had held out hope that clearer heads would prevail.” Sverbylo eyed Sovinov. “But what could I possibly do to aid you?”

Sovinov sighed as the big moment finally seemed to be upon him. However, they were cut off by the driver announcing that they had arrived at Sverbylo’s headquarters. “We can continue inside,” the Kubanizan said. Once inside and alone, he once again waited for Sovinov to answer.

“I need you to help me in the form of manpower,” Sovinov finally said.

Sverbylo nodded, as if he had suspected this all along. “My regiments are not currently at wartime strength, you understand… But I have my core units still, the most experienced and loyal. I can call up others for service as needed to take their place. How many men do you need?”

“I have an idea of how many men you have at your disposal,” Sovinov responded. “If you could provide five thousand, with as many tanks and armored vehicles as you could spare, I could provide about a thousand men, initially. If my plan works, however, we should be able to call upon some more men from the Provisional Armed Forces and National Police.”

Sverbylo whistled. “Five thousand? That’s a lot, my friend, but it is worth the investment to save our neighbors and brothers from communism. You shall have it.”

Two weeks later

It was dark in the mountains, and the moon offered very little light. A twig snapped, and a challenge was met by the proper response. Two men emerged from the underbrush on the Mazaghean side, meeting three men coming from Kubaniza.

“Commander Sovinov?” one of the two asked.

“It is I,” Sovinov responded. “You are our guides?”

“Yes, sir. We have men at several places along the border to guide our comrades in, just as you ordered. The border patrols are in all the wrong places, just as you said they’d be. I don’t know how you managed it, sir, but we’re ready to move.”

“Excellent,” Sovinov said. He turned to his two companions, who were Kubanizan officers. “Tell your men to move forward, we’re on-mission.”

“One more thing, sir. There have been some developments. An arrest warrant has been issued for you and several of your associates, including Diya Gushina.”

“Ha!” Sovinov barked. “This only confirms what I have been saying all along. I am Shapsug’s biggest critic, his most dangerous rival. He sought to remove me, but I have outmaneuvered him. Ha! I only hope Diyda escaped.”

About twenty minutes after crossing the border, the lead vehicle in Sovinov’s convoy ran into a surprise police checkpoint. They had had no lights on, but had switched them on as soon as the lead vehicle got close enough. Sovinov ordered the rest of the men to stay back while he went up ahead to see what the issue was. When he returned about ten minutes later, one of the Kubanizan commanders and their guides were arguing.

“You said it was clear!” the Kubanizan said.

“It was! I don’t know where these militsiya came from…” the guide responded.

“It’s alright, my friends. They are not our enemies, but our comrades. They were here to deliver a warning from our friend the head of the National Police, Berasby Manshak. The way ahead is not clear. It seems that someone higher up has superseded his subordinate’s orders for this area and has ordered a patrol through this area. We will have to find another way around. You can do this, yes?” He asked the last question of the guide.

“Yes… it will not be as quick, but there is another way. Let’s move.”

About an hour later, they received the call that they had all dreaded. “The engine will not ignite,” the message came out of the radio. “The engine will not ignite.” It as the prearranged signal that they had been discovered. When trying to move approximately five thousand armed men across a border, it was nearly impossible to stay undetected. Sovinov’s connections had allowed them to pinpoint the locations of outposts and border stations, as well as predict where there would be patrols. He had even been able to alter the orders sent to several units in the field. In addition, the Mazaghean-Kubanizan border was not heavily defended. No, most resources were dedicated to watching the border with the USR. For these reasons, Sovinov had hoped that they would be able to make it much closer to the capital before being discovered.

Evidently, fate had different plans.

“We have no choice now,” Sovinov declared. “We must rush for Nalkop.”

Messages In This Thread
Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 03-19-2017, 05:13 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 03-25-2017, 07:50 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 03-26-2017, 07:31 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-03-2017, 08:16 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-04-2017, 01:20 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-09-2017, 12:07 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-12-2017, 10:16 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-21-2017, 04:49 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM