Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazaghean Woes
Marth 1525

In Nalkop, a week of celebrations had been declared. Hatal Sovinov returned to Mazaghea to a hero's welcome. Just a few days earlier, he had been present in Bukanya for the final signing of the peace accords, what was being called internationally the Bukanya Accords, the treaty ending the horrid, drawn-out Winter War. As the train carrying the Mazaghean delegation slowly came to a stop, the tens of thousands in the crowd cheered. Hatal stood in full view, basking in the glory of a liberating hero. To either side of him stood the negotiating team which had done the actual work of securing the peace on paper. Included in this team was one Abaty Shapsug, a former Communist councilor on the former Supreme Council. He had been known as a voice of moderation and compromise on the Council, and so was considered a natural addition to the delegation. He was opposed by Sovinov, though his advisers assured him that he would do no harm. The history between the two was not well. It had been he who had demanded that Sovinov be thrown out when he had interrupted the Supreme Council and dissolved it. Their relationship had simply gone downhill from there.

As they were preparing to disembark, Shapsug approached Sovinov. "It is finally over. The war, I mean. I hope to work with you closely in the future to rebuild our nation. Unless you plan to retire from public life," he added, almost hopefully. "The people would completely understand your decision in such a case. You have fought long and hard, and have done more than duty required of you."

"No," Sovinov replied, crushing Shapsug's hope that Sovinov would go quietly. "I have fought much of my life to see her freed, I cannot abandon my homeland now, not with so many snakes and vultures still about." He added that last part with some emphasis.

Shapsug frowned, but they were swept away by the crowd before he could say anything more. Sovinov in particular was swamped by the cheering masses, and only a barrier of armed soldiers kept him from being crushed. His security chief advised that Sovinov be clear of the crowd as soon as possible, but the old soldier loved the admiration of his people. After so many years of being a criminal, the public adoration was extremely gratifying.

"That old coot's days are numbered," Shapsug swore to a confidante. "It's time for the experienced and mature to take the reins."

Messages In This Thread
Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 03-19-2017, 05:13 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 03-25-2017, 07:50 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 03-26-2017, 07:31 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-03-2017, 08:16 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-04-2017, 01:20 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-09-2017, 12:07 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-12-2017, 10:16 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 05-21-2017, 04:49 AM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM
RE: Mazaghean Woes - by Jamzor the Jaxxor - 06-24-2017, 12:17 PM