Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computers in Siora
(10-25-2016, 09:47 PM)Arkiania Wrote: I think the two major operating systems would be from Ogo and Thunderstorm.

I dont think on Siora there has to be a duopoly. We are a fantasy world, we could do things different. However I think one could that on Siora maybe a company like IBM licenses their research which would make x86-64 the standard. Not only that we are a couple years ahead of earth so it would be assumed that 32-bit would be almost completely phased out.

But for manufacturers I will assume the Kuroari is fairly large since nobody else has come with tech giant that produces processors.

Regarding Ogo and Thunderstorm being the "main" OS's, I'm not sure about that. I dunno about you but I find it hard to believe that countries like Severyane or Nerysia would be willing to let Thunderstorm, a Carpathian OS, become the main type of OS in their country. Probably best to have a OS from a different country be biggest, I propose Nyland simply because it seems to make the most sense (big fucking country with big fucking economy, that generally stays out of international affairs? sounds like a winning combination to me).

As for Ogo's OS, correct me if I'm wrong but I've only seen them make Jelly OS (which is our Android), which is an entirely different market from the normal home PC OS.

Regrding the processor thing though, I like the idea of having one company that made the architecture being willing to just license any company that wants to make processors of that architecture. Let's people who want to make their own CPU manufacturers start up their own companies without having to piss around by making their own architecture (which they could still do if they want but they don't have to do that with this) and it sets us apart from RL.

As for Kuroari being the only big processor manufacturer, I've mentioned that Akitsu would have it's own CPU manufacturing company, it just wouldn't be very big because it'd use it's own proprietary architecture (called the I (伊) architecture) and probably wouldn't be very big outside of Akitsu and possibly it's neighbors (but I'm not sure about that). Also I haven't gotten around to RP'ing it yet.

(10-25-2016, 11:30 PM)BrumBrum Wrote: That makes sense Ark. Maybe what we have is a set of standard file formats, kernals etc and different companies produce os's from there. Similar deal with processors too, have similar standards for processor architechure but companies innovate.Could even have just one kernal.

I don't mind there being set standards for kernels, but this doesn't really help much in terms of getting names.

Yeah, I want to come up with names for this stuff.

Oh and for those of you saying "why do we have to be like RL and have one dominant OS?"

First of all, this doesn't prevent people from making a different OS popular in their country.

Secondly, compatibility. When it comes to OS's, even the small differences can cause massive problems in compatibility. If you've ever used Linux you'd know what I'm talking about. Using Linux as an example, let me give you a basic idea of what I mean:
  • Linux has three major types of distributions that OS's are based on - Debian, Gentoo, and Fedora - none of these are compatible with each other.
  • Even within Debian we have many different distributions. The biggest is Ubuntu, which is NOT compatible with Debian even though it's based off of Debian.
  • Within Ubuntu we have some derivatives, for example there's Linux Mint (meant to be a mix of Debian and Ubuntu), which is compatible with some but not all Ubuntu applications.

This is why if you go to a download page for a Linux program they'll ask what distribution of Linux you're on.

If every country has it's own OS, then it would be ridiculously hard for a company to be able to sell it's software outside of it's home country. I mean, how the hell is a company supposed to make a piece of software compatible with EVERY OS from EVERY country? Most companies would just say "FUCK IT" and make it for the most common OS that's used in the market they're targetting and then just not worry about making it compatible for any other OS (do you really think they're going to spend time and money developing for an OS that'll probably only be a small fraction of their sales?).

Simply put - if we want to be able to realistically say that software can be easily bought and sold, we're going to have to have one "dominant" OS. This would probably be adopted only by those who are too lazy or don't care enough to make their own OS popular in their country (I am strongly against making it mandatory for people to use this OS), but at least it makes it easy for software creators to sell their stuff if we have a OS that's made in Nyland called Fönster (it's the Swedish word for Window, I dunno you got a better name?) or something that those who don't care enough about the computer scene to RP stuff in it can just use and be done with it.

I also ask about kernel names (let's not get too detailed into how these kernels work, please) for those of us that want to make our own OS's and be a bit more detailed as to what they're derived from. We can have one major kernel (it'd probably be the easiest to have it somehow have been standardized, I dunno maybe our version of UNIX actually widely adopted widely, rather than what happened RL which is UNIX influenced Windows NT but never really was fully adopted by Microsoft) and have many other kernels derived from it to set us apart from RL.

Messages In This Thread
Computers in Siora - by Zabuza825 - 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by BrumBrum - 10-25-2016, 03:04 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by Arkiania - 10-25-2016, 09:47 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by BrumBrum - 10-25-2016, 11:30 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by Zabuza825 - 10-26-2016, 04:24 AM
RE: Computers in Siora - by BrumBrum - 10-26-2016, 01:04 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by Ayzek - 12-28-2016, 05:57 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by Alvino Castillon - 12-28-2016, 10:00 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by Ayzek - 12-28-2016, 10:14 PM
RE: Computers in Siora - by Zabuza825 - 12-29-2016, 12:14 AM
RE: Computers in Siora - by Ayzek - 12-29-2016, 12:30 AM