Eternity RPC Board
Elections in Nyland: a call for input - Printable Version

+- Eternity RPC Board (http://board.eternityrpc.com)
+-- Forum: Oblivion Compound (http://board.eternityrpc.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Library of Eternity (http://board.eternityrpc.com/forum-20.html)
+---- Forum: Siora MTRP Archive (http://board.eternityrpc.com/forum-54.html)
+----- Forum: Discussion and Planning (http://board.eternityrpc.com/forum-56.html)
+----- Thread: Elections in Nyland: a call for input (/thread-352.html)

Elections in Nyland: a call for input - Seperallis - 03-13-2017

Hey guys, I've been mulling things over, and looking at results for past "experiments," I think I finally have enough info to come to a conclusion on exactly how to do the elections: whether to offer three votes, or two.

The general question is this: Do you want three votes, or two?

Some may have noticed that I've sometimes changed how many votes are allowed in the election poll every now and again. I've been doing this to figure out exactly what effect this has upon election results, and I've come up with some info that I'm fairly certain is accurate. So, let's get into it.

with two votes
Two votes makes what I feel is field of politics that's much more representative of must RL multi-party democracies: over time, with two votes in the election poll, a handful of "major" parties emerges (like we have now with the UP, NCL, and NL), a couple middling-tier political movers, and several small parties. I personally like this best, as it generates clear and dominant ideological leaders such as happens in the real world, and just feels more realistic overall in tending towards either isolated ideologies (i.e. the UP's dominance for lack of other right-leaning groups) or moderate ideologies.

With three votes
Three votes makes the legislature resemble much more like some Dutch abomination, where large parties tend to be weaker; while the same parties as above are still at the top of the list, their seats are much diminished, and distributed (generally) along ideologically similar parties; "bloc" voting becomes more prevalent and has a much greater impact as most generally vote either right or left, rarely voting a split tab, and this tends to cause a diminished importance on any single party.

However, it does have the added benefit of making the legislature less volatile; with more votes to spread around, chances increase of any one party getting part of the vote. Swings in you lots' mood has less of an effect, which is pretty good for someone like me who pisses everyone off without a care. Flipped Smile

With four votes
Yeah, this isn't happening. Votes get far to spread out. Did this once, and it basically makes elections moot, so the choice is between three or two.

SO yeah, go ahead and cast your vote, and comment here if you have something to say. Thanks.

RE: Elections in Nyland: a call for input - Seperallis - 03-13-2017

Something I failed to mention here that I mentioned in chat, is an unusual phenomenon whereby the more parties exist that expouse a certain political viewpoint (generally "right" or "left", but things can get more specific than that), the weaker each party gets while the entire Bloc gets stronger. For example, UP is generally a "far-right" movement, but in the absence of another right-leaning group, has become a catch-all for all right-leaning voting; with more right-leaning parties (like we have for the left), the UP would lose quite a few seats, but the entire right-wing bloc would become stronger.

It's actually quite a fantastic phenomenon.

RE: Elections in Nyland: a call for input - CONCENTRAL - 03-13-2017

Esteemed diplomat, your poll lacks the option to dismantle democracy and subsequently join the MANINTERN to achieve ultimate stability, so I am forced to make it known via this comment.

RE: Elections in Nyland: a call for input - Seperallis - 03-13-2017

That is indeed unfortunate. Sadly, Nyland is not yet at the point where dismantling democracy and/or joining MANINTERN is possible. However, doing so would alleviate me of quite a hefty burden, so I'm hoping we arrive at that point not too far in the future. Sadly, I am charged with maintaining the system as it stands until such a time as the current system is changed via means of writing and roleplay.

RE: Elections in Nyland: a call for input - CONCENTRAL - 03-13-2017

Esteemed diplomat, the Mandate is pleased to hear dismantling democracy and joining the MANINTERN bloc is the future agenda for Nyland.
Internal provisions will be made for this momentous occasion.

"This is my MANINTERN. Why not make it yours?" -Esteemed MT1 Humblos

RE: Elections in Nyland: a call for input - Seperallis - 03-14-2017

Well, unless we have a sudden rush of people who care, it seems we'll set in stone "two votes" for legislative elections. I may still reserve the option to allow three votes for elections where we have an unusually large number of parties - maybe twelve or more - in office, but, until then, two is what we'll do.